Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to admit i have been lurking on this site for a while now...and I really enjoy it, thanks to all who keep this site running and sharing about MB hunting.
I really enjoy pictures and stories of game taken in this beautiful province of Manitoba I can proudly call my home now.
I got introduced to hunting about 11 years ago by one of my old friends in rural manitoba. I was really new to this province back then and my first hunting trip was going out to shot beavers because they were flooding this one particular farmers field and my friend was a bounty hunter for beavers. It was an awesome experience, he later showed me how to trap them because that was a more efficient way of catching more beavers. It was fun shooting them while they were trying to fix their dam but going to check traps was just a exciting. I never held a high power rifle in my hands until I was 16. My friend offered to take me deer hunting in the fall so to prepare for that I went to get my hunter safety and FAC. One day in the fall after church he asked me if I'd like to go along deer hunting the next weekend, however I had to find my own gun. I did not own one at that point so I asked a good neigh boor of mine that also introduced me to fishing in manitoba if i could borrow his rifle, he did not have a problem with me taking the gun for this hunt as long as my mom was ok with it. Of course after all the convincing I did I managed to get the gun and of I went deer hunting. The day prior to the hunt my friend gives me his .308 and says shoot that clump of dirt down in that slough, well that was one way to become gun shy...that was my first shot with a high power rifle, i never hit the clump of dirt and my friend said that was enough I now know what I have to deal with shooting that .270, Remington gamemaster pump action rifle. I was now scared to fire that .270. However I still did go on the hunt and even tho I never shot anything that day even tho I did shot at a doe while running away from me just to see it keep bouncing in the distance. Looking back at that day now I can only shake my head. The day consisted mostly of "bushing bush" and it was enjoyable back then but now I can say that I enjoy still hunting or hunting out of a stand much more and I have shot all my deer while hunting by my self or my best hunting partner, my father.
After that day I feel in love with deer hunting, more specific hunting whitetail deer. I read everything I could get my hands on about the species, read hunting magazines watched hunting shows for them and soon realized that there is not much out there from Manitoba, we have some awesome deer hunting in this province and because I live here and hunt here wanted to know more about the whitetail hunting here in Manitoba, information was pretty hard to find until I came across this site. Once again thanks to all that participate.
I hope to be able to do my part in sharing information about the great hunting we have in this province.
Good luck to all hunting this season and hope to see some nice pictures by the end of it.
The size of the antlers really don't mater as long as it is a trophy in your eyes and a reward for the work done to get it.
I have attached some photos, I will try to dig more out to post.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Welcome to the forum.I enjoyed your story and like you share a great passion for whitetails and the hunting of them!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
You are very welcome here mbhunter85 ( that must be a birth year). You must have played hockey then. Many a player or parent remembers their players age that way. I am very interested and think that I speak for all when I say that I am very interested in what you learnt from the bounty hunter. After all I think we all want MORE BEAVER.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
idb pikester...not to worry "the beaver" is not that hard to get.....
however a big buck..different story.

My 2010 muzzle buck. It was the last day for muzzle season and before heading in after a morning hunt I decided to walk the logging trail that is on the private property I hunt. I was walking slowly and I jumped this buck. I let out a loud scream and the buck after running 60yds stopped, he was on the other side of a small hill and all I could see was his head as he was looking at me, gun shouldered I squeezed the trigger aiming right between the eyes, and a cloud of smoke was in front of me. Thinking to my self I probably missed, I took my time to reload the muzzle loader and waited another 10 min. before I headed towards the direction where the buck stood. I immediately spot the antler that I shot of and could see the buck laying another 15 yds away. At first I thought the buck might be just knocked out and could come back to any time so with the barrel of my gun I slowly and cautiously approached him, after poking him in the eye a few times and because there was no response I could tell the buck was down for good. I called my dad he picked me and the buck up with the quad. My muzzle loader tag was filled. Later when we cut his skull open to get the antlers we could see that half of his brain was mush, full of congealed blood. I guess when I shot his antler of which was right at the base of it the shock of the bullet hitting him was enough to put him down.

I had to glue the antlers back together to be able to display them on my wall.
Thinking of it now it was a foolish shot to take and probably will avoid shots like that again, especially with the muzzle loader. However it was not a high scoring buck but the meat was delicious and I guess luck was on my side that day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts