Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you all switched to Carbon shafts, or have you stayed with Aluminum...I don't know anyone who still shoots Fiberglass shafts any more. And, the only one's I know still shooting Cedar are the long bow purists.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have, shot aluminium when i first started but now its all carbon... I'm sure there are some people out there who stillshoot alum. tho...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Stared out shooting aluminum, but have been shooting carbon arrows for the past 12 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Chuck Adams still shoots aluminum. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I may be looking for my first bow sometime in the next few months. Came across some pretty gruesome pictures/ stories of damaged carbon arrows breaking on release and going into the bow hand. Makes me wonder how preventable these accidents are.

Do you guys check over/ flex test your arrows after every shot?

Do you guys shoot groups, or only one arrow per target spot?

·
Registered
240 Posts
savage4 said:
I may be looking for my first bow sometime in the next few months. Came across some pretty gruesome pictures/ stories of damaged carbon arrows breaking on release and going into the bow hand. Makes me wonder how preventable these accidents are.

I shoot carbon, I've stopped shooting groups the majority of the time. Now I only shoot groups at distances of 50 & 60 yards. I've broken way to many arrows shooting groups at 20, 30, and 40 yards. Sure it feels good at the time but it hurts the wallet after a while.

I flex them a fair bit but not every shot at a target, when hunting I will flex after every shot, since the arrow usually pass through and end up stuck in the ground.

A lot of the pics you're seeing are improper arrow length and not arrows breaking, Here's my opinion on these accidents, a newbie to archery gets set up with a new bow, they are given arrows by someone who mistakenly picks 1 short arrow or the newbie picks up someone else's arrow by mistake, they draw back and the short arrow comes back through the rest and lands on their hand, they also have their trigger finger where it shouldn't be, they panic and hit the trigger accidentally, boom arrow though their hand.

Always make sure you shoot YOUR own arrows and check your equipment regularly. Also make sure your arrows are rated for the draw weight of the bow. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
287 Posts
FMJ's for me too, great arrow, and much less chance of them exploding into splinters that end up in your bow arm! Only issue is they are heavy, not really an issue unless your looking for a fast arrow, normally I use them for elk and moose and switch to a lightspeed for deer and bear. The fmj's ar 11.3gr per inch and the lightspeeds are 8.2gr per inch.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only issue I've had with them is the tip getting a small crack in it. This is usually after a shot at an animal and I hit solid bone, or a rock or log on exit. But my attitude is if I'm shooting an arrow at a critter then its fair to write it off lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bowhunter78 said:
savage4 said:

I shoot carbon, I've stopped shooting groups the majority of the time. Now I only shoot groups at distances of 50 & 60 yards. I've broken way to many arrows shooting groups at 20, 30, and 40 yards. Sure it feels good at the time but it hurts the wallet after a while.

I flex them a fair bit but not every shot at a target, when hunting I will flex after every shot, since the arrow usually pass through and end up stuck in the ground.

A lot of the pics you're seeing are improper arrow length and not arrows breaking, Here's my opinion on these accidents, a newbie to archery gets set up with a new bow, they are given arrows by someone who mistakenly picks 1 short arrow or the newbie picks up someone else's arrow by mistake, they draw back and the short arrow comes back through the rest and lands on their hand, they also have their trigger finger where it shouldn't be, they panic and hit the trigger accidentally, boom arrow though their hand.

Always make sure you shoot YOUR own arrows and check your equipment regularly. Also make sure your arrows are rated for the draw weight of the bow. Good luck and be safe.
I'm an experience bow hunter and had that very thing happen to me. I was shooting every second day and competing in 3D competitions etc. I was home one day shooting into my dead end bag. After shooting 6-12 arrows(3 per round), I drew back when I release, the arrow snapped approx 12 inches from the nock. that 12 inches went through the meat of my thumb on my bow hand, nock and feathers include. I got lucky and the shaft just missed my thumb bone.

Previous to that incident I hadn't struck anything hard as far as I knew there was no previous damage to the arrow. I wrote to the company "Gold Tip" and told them what happpened. I got a very "legal" response from their legal dept. Basically telling me It had to of been something I did. I've been shooting Easton's ever since. Also met a fellow out of Selkirk that had it happened to him. He was shooting Eastons, the easton rep tracked him down and handed him, a new Hoyt.

So it does happen, no matter what brand. I do flex my arrows a little more ofter now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I still shoot aluminum - 2216 xx78 Super Slams or 2216 xx75 Lites. I do have some carbon arrows but prefer the aluminum.

They are cheap, durable, straight (better tolerances than carbon for the $), consistent spine, and best of all won't explode in my hand. Sure they may be heavier but that is not an issue for me.

I see no reason to change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts