Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any more affordable ways to go moose hunting up north, the cheapest I've seen so far is around 4000 per person.

Couldn't a guy just drive up north and hunt some crown deep in the bush and stay in a hotel or rent a cabin?

Any advice would be apprciated!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I married a girl who's dad has a remote cabin and a piper cub, this season cost me my tag, food and gas in my truck to drive to Bisset.

Works for me lol

·
Registered
653 Posts
But if you have a canoe and a tent you could probably do it really cheap, just look at a map and find an area you want to try.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next step I'm hitting up Canada map sales and planning for next year. How's you luck in the Bisset area?

·
Registered
557 Posts
sled-in said:
I married a girl who's dad has a remote cabin and a piper cub, this season cost me my tag, food and gas in my truck to drive to Bisset.

Works for me lol
Does your wife have a sister? How's your marriage? :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
justin said:
Just wondering if there are any more affordable ways to go moose hunting up north, the cheapest I've seen so far is around 4000 per person.

Couldn't a guy just drive up north and hunt some crown deep in the bush and stay in a hotel or rent a cabin?

Any advice would be apprciated!!
That's way too high for a do-it yourself flyout hunt. 4 guys, 1 week, gear and food with cabin and boat rental shouldn't be more than $1500/person. Every combination with less time, equipment, gear, amenities shouldn't run you more than $1000 to $1200/person.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lots of places up north ,lots of private guys with planes too who hire out ,I spend a good amount of time around Thompson possibilities are endless ,this year I camped out 40km north up a river ,the moose are winning the battle tho but each time it's an adventure .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a stupid question but do you generally get to tag and bring the meat home? I don't see anything on that. :moose:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I would say, certainly, but to make sure, give Shaun a call at Jackson's...be sure and tell him you got his name on this site.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You buy your tag before you leave obviously then if your lucky enough to get a moose you put your tag on it. They come fly to pick it up and you continue to hunt. Once trip is over and you fly back you pick up your moose at the air hanger. He made a real nice cooler last year for hanging meat. Been going to his camps the last 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I believe with Jackson's that their rule for sustainability is that one moose is allowed for every two hunters. A novel idea, what? You might want to consider the conservation moose tag if you go with them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah the 1 moose for 2 guys . 2 moose for 4 guys is their policy. IMO I think it's a smart idea. Sure it helps to keep the numbers Sustained. Your flying out of the moose is also included in your hunt package. I've heard of other outfitters that it's extra. That's what we did this year was buy conservation tag, save few dollars. So if 2 guys or by yourself you get a moose your hunt is done, turn rest time into fishing trip.

G

·
Riggs said:
I would say, certainly, but to make sure, give Shaun a call at Jackson's...be sure and tell him you got his name on this site.
Excellent guy to deal with, you will have no regrets with shaun.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reviving a dead topic... I just wnat to say thanks for all the great advice. Called shaun and he was a great guy to talk to. I never ended up getting it done, didn't get to go yet. I'm thinking about trying to get some buddies in on a short notice September moose trip with Jacksons if they still have room left.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts