Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a walk around Clear water this morning with the dog and the gun. Covered a few miles of bush flushed a pair of ruffed grouse and killed one. :shotgun: pretty uneventful morning but its just nice to be out with the gun again. oh and i guess i got the first bird of the year out of all the guys on the forum do i get a prize? :lmao:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
:pictures: , or it didn't happen. :lmao:

On second thought, I believe you. Congratulations, but, :pictures: anyway. lol

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i ate the grouse already lol i just couldn't wait i kept the wings to tie to a dummy for the pup to retrieve will that do :lmao:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, good to hear you guys up north have had some luck.

I trekked around Sandilands for 5+ hours on Sat, and didn't see one bird! It was a rainy day, so mabye the grouse were smarter than I, and stayed in with the Mr/Mrs. in the deep rough.

I'll wait until some more leaves have fallen, and hopefully flush some this year!! Love the hunt/sport/easy fabrication/and TASTE of those ruffies!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was a mentor on Saturday, for someone's first hunt, He missed his first bird, after a 5 mile hike,lol. and flushed two up behind him walking back. Too many leaves and way too hot for any good hunting, The geese are way behind coming up, crops are off and done. These old bones say, I will be hunting in no snow in rifle season.

Anyone else see any berries? I had not seen a single one left anywhere is the southeast, not a good sign!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's the only pic I got out of my walk in the bush...

A lonely ruger 10/22 - usually I hunt with one of my shotguns, but I had just picked up one of these sweet looking (and functioning) ruger mags. They're great!

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
BushDevil said:
I was a mentor on Saturday, for someone's first hunt, He missed his first bird, after a 5 mile hike,lol. and flushed two up behind him walking back. Too many leaves and way too hot for any good hunting, The geese are way behind coming up, crops are off and done. These old bones say, I will be hunting in no snow in rifle season.

Anyone else see any berries? I had not seen a single one left anywhere is the southeast, not a good sign!
That was one thing we noticed also. No berries. No ground berries or shrub berries. Bush is dry as a bone. Ground is hard as a rock.The grouse that we bagged were eating clover and mushrooms. Not a single berry in their crops.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does anyone know if there is good hunting of grouse in Belair Provincial Forest southern area? :?: :?: :?: :roll:

·
Registered
147 Posts
canadian-ice said:
BushDevil said:

That was one thing we noticed also. No berries. No ground berries or shrub berries. Bush is dry as a bone. Ground is hard as a rock.The grouse that we bagged were eating clover and mushrooms. Not a single berry in their crops.
I can see mushrooms, pine cones and gravel, but you got me on the clover for this time of year. I am gonna go out on the limb here and put my money on the morning dew on the clover, doing a two for one deal. No water nearby. I just might start ckecking out clearing edges. Eat,drink, and warm up spots all in one. Would make a good day out.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
They are always eating clover up where I hunt, as well as small poplar leaves and different berries.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The one I shot on opener hag 5 big grey slugs in its crop and nothing else and there are lots of sask Berries around were I hunt

1 - 20 of 42 Posts