Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you grouse hunters, friends of mine tell me that they drive the back roads in the sandy lands area for grouse and when they see one they jump out of their vehicle and pursue the bird is this legal?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually under the law, it is "Not Legal" although pretty well all grouse hunters do it (myself included, many times).
here's what the Hunting Guide states on Page 23:

It is illegal to hunt from a vehicle. For example, a vehicle may
not be used to search for, locate, “push bush” or to flush out
game under any circumstances. Vehicles may only be used to
transport hunters, supplies or equipment to or from a hunting
area. In most, but not all areas, vehicles may be used to retrieve a
big game kill by the most direct route.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Kennyb0328 said:
Question for you grouse hunters, friends of mine tell me that they drive the back roads in the sandy lands area for grouse and when they see one they jump out of their vehicle and pursue the bird is this legal?
Why wouldn't it be legal.....what's the suspicion??? see the grouse, get out, load your gun go after it ....it's all good....and legal. A vehicle was used to transport the hunter to the particular hunting spot.

G

·
Kennyb0328 said:
I see well I'm just gonna walk it I guess. Just gotta find a good spot for walking.

Thanks again
The only problem you will run into is the quads and trucks that will drive past you after you have already walked a mile down a trail! Very frustrating!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great advise everyone . Anyone know of some crown out side of the Winnipeg area good for grouse hunting I know peoPle are usually secretive about any decent spots but I'm new and not sure where to go? Thanks again

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just head east past Richer, find a logging road and follow it until you find a smaller trail and walk along there. The spot might be good or a bust but you'll have seen some new country and that's bigger to me then the birds

·
Registered
869 Posts
Alot of people go in and around the seddon's corner area, I find (And I think alot of you guys will agree) that early morning and evenings usually yield the best hunts, I like it once we get some frost and the leaves fall off, lets you see in the bush alot more plus you can get the "Crunch crunch crunch" of a grouse running across leaves. have fun.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Tons of areas you can go grouse hunting, the best thing about it is that is requires no set up, no planning and it's a very relaxing way to spend the afternoon. For myself, I will go waterfowl hunting in the morning, come back have breakfast then spend the rest of the day wadering around the bush looking for grouse.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Chris Benson said:
Tons of areas you can go grouse hunting, the best thing about it is that is requires no set up, no planning and it's a very relaxing way to spend the afternoon. For myself, I will go waterfowl hunting in the morning, come back have breakfast then spend the rest of the day wadering around the bush looking for grouse.
Same idea here, but I prefer brush pants to "waders" while searching for grouse. :lol:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ya similar event for me, I just saw some movement in a tiny patch of brush, this grouse found himself the only dry spot around, thought it was a muskrat or something just wanted to sate my curiousity then it flew up and that was the end of that lol. :shotgun:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.