Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm completely new to hunting...well mostly I got my hunters safety as a teen, went out once with no luck. I'm considering getting back into hunting a bit. Would like to bag some venison for the freezer. I would prefer to go Bow hunting, but I'm not super picky. I don't have equipment, and don't want to invest too much unless I know I want to get into it more seriously. In trade I can take you on the Red River or Traverse bay for some greenbacks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh man that's going to be a tough one for you. Ill be honest with you......I would love to take all kinds of new guys hunting to my spots but you have to realize that it is extremely hard to get permission to hunt and to keep that permission, then it's a time consuming endeavor to figure out the deer and set up stands and blinds,it's expensive and in some areas there just aren't that many deer. I spend hundreds of hours, a ton of money,and a lot of days every year scouting, knocking on doors seeking permission, hunting, cutting shooting lanes, etc etc. When guys ask me if they can come and hunt with me I tell them that I will happily go with them and knock on doors trying to get permission and then help them figure out the property and set it up to hunt. Most guys look at me like I'm crazy, they want to hunt on the land i've invested years into but not put any effort into starting from scratch themselves. Bowhunting is not for the lazy or casual hunter. They think it's rifle hunting where you can just hunt one day and get a deer. It aint cheap, it adds up damn quick....bow, arrows, release, broadheads, camo clothing, calls, licenses,stands, blinds, all kinds of accessories and gear, not to mention gas at $1.22 liter. I'll tell you what though, to get you started I'll happily meet you at an archery range and bring you one of my spare bows and we can shoot and chat, if you hate shooting then what's the point of bow hunting. If you are interested after shooting and talking then I'd get out knocking on doors with you looking for permission on new properties, just have thick skin because most people will say no as soon as they hear the word hunting. Maybe I'm wrong and you'll get a few offers to hunt and I hope you do, but honestly if a guy isn't prepared to put the time and effort I put into it then it really isn't fair to me right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow...I really honestly didn't realize it was quite so involved. especially how much more work is involved for Bow vs rifle. Actually My neighbour offered to take me out rifle...and for a first time out, that might be my best option. But I will definately consider taking you up on your offer in the future.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Maybe it isn't for lots of guys but for me and how serious I am about it there is a lot of time, sweat and effort involved. I think rifle is a great start if you have an offer on the table, can't wait for the story and pictures Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
And if you take someone out to your spot, next thing you know they are out there next year with their buddies and their buddies buddies and so on and so on. Just not worth it. Taking a kid out is different, as usually by the time they are old enough to drive, they've forgotten where you took them. :D

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
superdave450 said:
FYI gas is now $1.27 L and rising.
There are two stations near me that have jacked their price up to $8.05 a gallon. :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
That's over $2.00 a liter. I thought all pricing in the U.S. was cheaper than up here.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
snomad said:
That's over $2.00 a liter. I thought all pricing in the U.S. was cheaper than up here.
This is really an aberation. The dealers of one particular brand are protesting the prices that the parent company is charging them. So, they really jacked up the price knowing that they won't sell any at that price, hoping the parent company will come to their senses. Most of the stations here are now charging $4.00 a gallon.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
We are at $4.80 per U.S. gallon here and in some places in Canada it would be around $5.25. At $1.27/liter X 4.5 = $5.72/Cdn. gallon.

·
Registered
653 Posts
thepatriot said:
Anyone that things hunting is cheap..... well.............. food, gas, equipment, well you guys know the rest.
It doesn't have to cost a lot, I live on 80 acres, was given a 303. Buy a vest, hat, license and ammo, I'm set to hunt............
Just don't tell my wife I could hunt without the other stuff

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
sled-in said:
thepatriot said:
Anyone that things hunting is cheap..... well.............. food, gas, equipment, well you guys know the rest.
It doesn't have to cost a lot, I live on 80 acres, was given a 303. Buy a vest, hat, license and ammo, I'm set to hunt............
LOL... Yeah I get some good looks when coming home with new unexpected purchases!!!

On a side note gas is $1.40/L here in Bissett...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Patty said:
sled-in said:
thepatriot said:
LOL... Yeah I get some good looks when coming home with new unexpected purchases!!!

$1.40 !!! Sickening.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Patty said:
sled-in said:
thepatriot said:

I'll bring my own when I'm up next week......

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm gonna start muzzleloading in October, and some rifle after that. If you'd like to tag along with me for a bit, thats fine. There was a fella here in the buy and sell who was selling his muzzleloader. I can show you a few spots, if you like. If interested pm me

1 - 20 of 20 Posts