Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, took a tour out at grants lake yesterday, for anyone that hunts the posts there are only 20 posts now (reduced from the 54) as follows: 6 on the west, 6 on the south, 2 on the trail that goes north to the lure crop on the south end and 6 on the east side. I know it can be a gong show there some weekend mornings but in a pinch there is some good shoots from there. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Can be very hit and miss, The geese get educated there pretty quick it seems. East side can have some good mallard action in the evening. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the heads up - how do you get to the south and north posts? I've only ever set up at the west posts along the boulders. I find the map doesnt quite match the ground once out there.

I usually either come in along the north road past thr old game inspection post. (off highwy 6)

Thx!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They really re-did the posts there. They are spaced out quite abit. There are no posts on the noth side and the posts on the west,south, and YAWN....east side are all on mud roads. I bet that Manitoba conservation will be keeping a close eye on what goes on there this year with the new posts..... IE: Hunters are required to be within an arms reach of the post...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hopefully they do something about guys parking around there wherever they want. There are designated parking areas out there but most guys don't use them. Instead they just park wherever is convent for whoever they are hunting.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is it worth going there for a hunt? I can't imagine bringing a dog there is a good idea...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took a drive out and tracked down the sign posts, but am a little confused as to where to park, don't want to fall into the common yahoo category in my first season with a gun!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Chixfishing said:
The lure crop is to help attract the birds so we hunters can hunt them.
Ah no! Lure crops are planted to keep waterfowl away from farmers' fields during the harvest. As harvest dates are totally weather dependent, one never knows to what degree lure crops will be necessary. Suffice it to say that there is always a need for lure crops only they are needed more during wet, slow harvest years.

Hunters are not allowed anywhere near lure crops!

·
Registered
12 Posts
from my experiance lure crops were bought from farmers in the field to save the other fields. they are not usually planted specifically for that purpose. The exception may be oak hammock marsh on the south side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts