Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm just wondering if anybody else has a desire to step outside the box, instead of following the herd.
As we all know reloading is not really done for economic reasons but I started load development of a new light load for the my .243 that will be pulling double duty as my gopher getter and a introductory centerfire for younger/new shooters. That seems to be out of the box compared to using sticking to the 17hmr. But that is a fun little gun too.

Using Hodgdon data for reduced loads with H4895 powder and 62gn Barnes Varmint Grenades with primers and brass I'll be in it for about $0.55/rnd (depending on brass life). But who can put a price on that type of fun really???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Looks like that 62gr can get up around 3620fps in the 243. The 22-250 is 120fps behind at 3500fps with the 62gr bullet, 6.4gr less powder. Should be a fun load to try on gophers. You are going to have a hard time shooting a 17HMR for that price. As far as reloading, it is no different than the time you spend between the fish that you catch, you just enjoy what you are doing, and you don't have to pay somebody for the opportunity to reload. Economically, my equipment has been paid for a long time ago, so it does cost a lot less for me to shoot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Even with the huge increase in prices for shells, when your talking about gopher hunting nothing beats the .22LR. We would go through boxes, the big ones, growing up. But then it was for control in the pastures and would shoot well over 500 in a few weeks. Those same pastures haven't seen a gopher in years. I have a field across the lake from where I live now that was pasture and broke into wheat last year, they were everywhere. Farmer actually stopped in one day and told me to go buy a couple boxes of shells and send him the bill but never had time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Even with the huge increase in prices for shells, when your talking about gopher hunting nothing beats the .22LR. We would go through boxes, the big ones, growing up. But then it was for control in the pastures and would shoot well over 500 in a few weeks. Those same pastures haven't seen a gopher in years. I have a field across the lake from where I live now that was pasture and broke into wheat last year, they were everywhere. Farmer actually stopped in one day and told me to go buy a couple boxes of shells and send him the bill but never had time.
This thread is about getting bored with the same old tried and true 22lr. It is like catching a fish every cast for a couple of hours, you get bored quickly if there is nothing huge biting. When the ballistic tips came out, that put a whole lot of fun into shooting gophers and other varmint. Shotguns are fun too for a change of pace. Air rifles are a nice challenge, but at around 9lbs it gets a little heavy for freehand, great though if you are resting it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like that 62gr can get up around 3620fps in the 243. The 22-250 is 120fps behind at 3500fps with the 62gr bullet, 6.4gr less powder. Should be a fun load to try on gophers. You are going to have a hard time shooting a 17HMR for that price. As far as reloading, it is no different than the time you spend between the fish that you catch, you just enjoy what you are doing, and you don't have to pay somebody for the opportunity to reload. Economically, my equipment has been paid for a long time ago, so it does cost a lot less for me to shoot.
I'm no speed freak just going to try and get a reduced load working well. I like that outlook on reloading, time filling between shoots. There is nothing turning the tv on for, in my opinion anyway, I might as well take my time and tinker with something fun.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are no bad choices when it comes to shooting gophers. When I was a kid the municipality often had a bounty on them...3 cents per tail. 22 shorts cost 49 cents per box of 50. Crows feet were 15 cents /pr and magpies feet were 25cents /pr. As a teenager I finally saved enough to buy a then new Rem 788 in 222. I was amazed how I could reach out and touch goghers and coyotes. I've used many different calibres on them since and one of the most fun has been my 458 Win. Obviously a 458 isn't needed for much in Manitoba. I found a few boxes of 300 and 350 gr bullets for a dirt cheap price. Worked up some light loads and went after goghers. Practice with light loads made shooting that big rifle fun.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Call me old school , but 1050fps 22 subsonics are my go to for gophers , anything larger (and louder) seems to spook the gophers down for longer intervals. Although blowing them up with centefires at long range can be a fun change

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tend to agree with those who still favour the good ol .22 LR.... I got no problem with branching out n using all the other great guns on the market if you have the extra $$... Me n my buddy have been hunting a few gophers recently and I was able to down a gopher with 1 shot at 125 yards with my old cooey. 22 with open sights that I bought for $55.... And of u had a good scope you could easy do farther... Probably up to 200 yards.... You can't beat the 10 cents per shot on a 22 and even if u have a bigger gun your not gonna get that much bigger distance on gophers... Plus the cost of the gun itself is most likely gonna be lower too.... So I guess I don't really get the point of why some guys like to make a bigger bang just to shoot a little gopher when u can have just as much fun at half the cost.... Also if your shooting in a pasture or close to a yard a 22 don't have near the velocity of any of the guns u guys mentioned so it will be a bit safer.... I realize that you all don't like when guys stick up for the 22 on this thread but I figured I'd put my 2 cents in anyway.... I'm a big fan of the good ol 22 and I use it for shooting anything from li'l birds to raccoons n porkipines. And I'll even try it on a coyote or fox if I get a chance...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts