Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the price of 17HMR being so high, I am thinking of using my 44mag for gophers this year, since it is about half the cost to shoot with my light loads. Anyone else using cheaper ammo, along with maybe more of a challenge since I have open sights instead of a scoped 9lb rifle? I practiced a bit at paper gophers at 50 yards(worked pretty good), and I'm thinking I will be stretching it out to 75 yards. Any further than that and I mine as well haul out the 22-250 with the 40 grainers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some 350 grain hard cast lead rounds in .44 mag if you want to try those on gophers. :D

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
I did some quick checking, and those seem a little heavy and not a lot of load data. One fella says they are hard on the firearm due to the heavy recoil, but I am loading light anyways. I think I'll stick with the 240s since I just opened a box of 500. I'm guessing the 350s are geared more towards the 444? Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Geefers

And what's wrong with a 20 ri2ful? You can do what ever you want, long range, scoped, open sights and above all cheap.:cheesy:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And what's wrong with a 20 ri2ful? You can do what ever you want, long range, scoped, open sights and above all cheap.:cheesy:
.22 rifle? I have used them lots, but I'm not the type of person that likes to get stuck in a rut. That would be like saying you only need one rifle, where is the fun in that? .22lr is not cheap anymore either, when you are paying $5 box for stuff that should only run half of that, what you meant to say is that it is not as expensive as 17HMR. .22 has gone up around 5 times the price in the last 20 years(we would buy Winchester SuperX for $10/brick of 500), but highpower stuff didn't. My .44 runs me around $10/50, which is about the same as decent .22 ammo. What you suggest is no different than saying I could just shoot a bow and still do whatever I want, but I sold all my archery equipment so that is not an option. I'm just wondering if anybody else has a desire to step outside the box, instead of following the herd.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did some quick checking, and those seem a little heavy and not a lot of load data. One fella says they are hard on the firearm due to the heavy recoil, but I am loading light anyways. I think I'll stick with the 240s since I just opened a box of 500. I'm guessing the 350s are geared more towards the 444? Thanks anyways.
I use then for grizzlies in the rockies so I'm sure it will be fine on gophers :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use then for grizzlies in the rockies so I'm sure it will be fine on gophers :)

Those bullets must weigh almost as much as the gophers. Any chance you could start a thread with some pictures of those grizzlies?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry not for hunting them for protection from them while working. Leftovers from my younger days. I have the load information if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
:::Quote, (I'm just wondering if anybody else has a desire to step outside the box, instead of following the herd.)

I choose not to follow the herd either. If I ain't eatin' it I let er be!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Short story: I did some rifle work for a buddy a while back and he promised me a 22-250 as pay. I didn't want the gun so I traded it for a Heavy Barrel 22 Hornet. Now you might laugh at me for doing that but so far it's been a perfect pipe. Shoots near 1/8" at 100 if I do my part. I watched some sales and now with loading my only 2 boxes of cases 10-15 times, my cost per 50 is 17 bucks. Can't get cheaper than that really. 22 Hornet and 17 HMR have nothing in common whatsoever balistically speaking. My Hornet shoots a 40 grain V-MAX as fast as a 17 HMR plus it can be reloaded.

So far I've killed whatever I aimed at out to about 300 yards. I've done some groups to 600 that were 1/4 MOA as well.

Just my 2 cents on cost effective varminting!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Short story: I did some rifle work for a buddy a while back and he promised me a 22-250 as pay. I didn't want the gun so I traded it for a Heavy Barrel 22 Hornet. Now you might laugh at me for doing that but so far it's been a perfect pipe. Shoots near 1/8" at 100 if I do my part. I watched some sales and now with loading my only 2 boxes of cases 10-15 times, my cost per 50 is 17 bucks. Can't get cheaper than that really. 22 Hornet and 17 HMR have nothing in common whatsoever balistically speaking. My Hornet shoots a 40 grain V-MAX as fast as a 17 HMR plus it can be reloaded.

So far I've killed whatever I aimed at out to about 300 yards. I've done some groups to 600 that were 1/4 MOA as well.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a 17 Hornet. Seems they are not very popular yet, and very few selections for firearms without a large investment. The 22 Hornet would possibly be on the radar as well, but I just sold the dies for it that my father had. A 222 would also be a fun toy.... so many choices out there. For cost effective shooting, it pays to know which estate sales will be cleaning up reloading stuff, and it can really bring your reloading costs down. Anyway, sounds like you got yourself a great gopher gun.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Chit you should use that rifle for bench rest shooting. PM me I have some extra brass for you if you want.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Many many moons ago I got my first gopher centerfire - Ruger #3, 22 k-Hornet, with a custom hand made stock made for me - deadly accurate to 200 (good for a #3.lol.), and a fine gun to shoot - just plain old fun! 4227 and a 40 gr Hornady was its load of choice. Splat maker.
Life got in the way, needed cash so sold it - haha $250....of the many guns that have come and gone, that one still tops the list of "regrets'...

·
Registered
355 Posts
gopher

Mine was a 222 Anschutz sporter, was one of those rare finds that seemed to fit. Traded it away for some trinket witch I can't remember now. Notes say I used 50gr Hornady SX or Sierra Blitz on top of some 748. It really launched the gophers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts