Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Having recently acquired my PAL and purchased my first shotgun, and spent some time shattering clays, I'm now interested in trying my hand at grouse. If anyone would be willing to point me to a good starting location within' a few hours of winnipeg to get me going, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any info
Cheers
-Dusty

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If you don't mind quads and annoying dirt bikes, there can be some really good shooting east of Beausejour around Seddons corner... Just walk some of the less traveled trails and you'll shoot birds!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Where would I park and start walking from, haven't much experience in that area. Any spots worth walking in Woodlands or Rosser RM's? In-laws are in town of Rosser and would be nice to know.

Thanks again

-Dusty

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'm from Rosser originally... Not much in the way of ruffies in rosser, the odd hungarian, but its mostly a duck and goose destination... There are grouse at woodlands, but not in the numbers of eastern MB... Take a drive out to Seddons corner, there is plenty of crown land areas to hunt and parking isn't an issue, just pick a spot off a trail and park... There are lots of birds in that area and its only an hour +/- from Winnipeg and pavement the whole way (if that matters)...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Forestry roads stemming from the TransCan down to the Marchand area offer pretty good chances when you get into the brush and leave the roads :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does anyone know if there is good hunting of grouse in Belair Provincial Forest southern area?
:?: :?:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I tried Belaire a couple of times last year. i only saw a couple and usually too far to get a shot off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I tried Sandilands, and missed two birds but I got a hit on one.
Check out the Hunting Gallery under Game Birds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Walked the trails in sandilands for 2+ hours on tuesday morning. Flushed a rabbit, and gave a skunk a wide berth. Also a few deer, a doe with 2 little ones and a buck later. Grouse on the other hand, were nowhere to be seen. Pleasant walk however.

Cheers

-Dusty

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
The grouse must have been on facebook and found out the season was about to open. They all did a disappearing act. :roll:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, in the birds defense, it was my first time out, ever, hunting them. I may have stepped on a few and not noticed. I'll will be trying again, but first I may try my hand at some waterfowl, if I can convince my wifes cousin to bring me along sometime. Expensive set up to get going after migrators on my own.

-Dusty

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did what I call a Line up down walk, because of the wind we pick a road tight in with trees, starting at 630am we scout the road one way. Then closing 9am (grouse do the feeding between 8am to 2pm) we prepared and return the same road. First bird flew right at (didn’t even raise the shotgun) me, second bird flushed far to the right, third bird (fire two soon, pattern to tight) flush from a small bush near the road, fourth must have been on a branch to my right-flew right over my head (I pull up and the shot hit a pine tree) to my left through the trees and the final bird (I put a shot that pierced him & broke his wing) was sitting on a log 50 feet away at 11am. This was between Trail 33 & 34 in Sandilands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm from Rosser originally... Not much in the way of ruffies in rosser, the odd hungarian, but its mostly a duck and goose destination... There are grouse at woodlands, but not in the numbers of eastern MB... Take a drive out to Seddons corner, there is plenty of crown land areas to hunt and parking isn't an issue, just pick a spot off a trail and park... There are lots of birds in that area and its only an hour +/- from Winnipeg and pavement the whole way (if that matters)...
Looking at maps, it seems that east of Seddons Corner is where Crown Land areas begin? Thanks for the info, pavement all the way will help my old Taurus when bird season comes around.:) Is anything marked what is Crown land and what is private?

·
Registered
4 Posts
no bird hunting around here for another month yet!

best bet is Sandilands, drive out #1 highway head toward richer.. as soon as you pass richer head south and youll find places

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was thinking about drivign down to the Piney/Sandilands area with my pedal bike and cruise the trails to see if it would be worth grouse hunting down there next month.

I've never been to the Seddon's corner area mentioned last year in the post, has anyone been there yet?

Lastly, anyone hunt grouse with a bow? I took one last year while Moose Hunting with a small game broadhead, one of those tri-point, not sharp-blunt force points. It killed the bird quickly, but de-feathered it from the breast up to the top of it's head after hitting square on; the meat was also too damaged from black and blue brusing to actually eat it, so I will no longer by using those. Has anyone tried field points?

Having said that, my bow is shooting at about 57lbs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I still bow hunt for grouse. Used to use field points with Addlers behind the head. Wasn't happy with them. I now use Judo points or old broadheads with Adders.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've taken a few with plain old field points when they walk past my treestand during archery season.

70lb bow shooting almost straight down anchors them to the ground pretty well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Grouse seemed to be scarce last year in Sandilands and further southeast. Heard that it was better up in the Agassiz provincial forest up near Molsen but we didn't do any better.

Just go up the trails off #44 just past Seddon's corner or take the highway up towards Molsen and pick a trail. Same with Sandilands. Last year it was hit and miss. Hopefully this year will be better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts