Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I am Nikolai.

I have a German shorthaired pointer. This dog is pretty known in Russia. We had a lot of hunting and competition before in motherland. Grouse, Hungarian, woodcock, quail, snipe, pheasant etc. She even won some competition.

Now we live in Manitoba near Stainbach.
Could somebody say is there something like pointing dog club?

We saw a lot of huns here but our real passion is woodcock. Now I can see the exact moment for woodcock.
I don't have a shotgun in canada but i would be so grateful if someone invite me to see what your dogs and your birds are.

Thank you

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm your Huckleberry, though my schedule is insane right now.

The pointing dog club in Manitoba is long since defunct. I am currently trying to start a NSTRA chapter here, but with COVID closing the borders, it's been difficult to get going. Now that the borders are opening on both sides, we expect to be up and running next year with assistance from the Mid-North chapter members in ND assisting.

That said, anything you want to know about German Shorthaired Pointers (I have connections to all the top breeders / producer in North American with proven blood lines) including training, I can help you.

Here's my two (they are now 2 years old - this was taken at about 1 year old while training one evening). They come from a long line of champions, including multiple National NSTRA Champions.

Cloud Sky Dog Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is a German Shorthaired Pointer a good family dog?
With proper training, exercise, and mental stimulation ... yes, very much so. If you're not committed to training and exercising your dog though, don't do it.

By exercise, I'm not talking about a walk / run on a leash, these dogs are a high powered / high energy breed that need to run hard off leash for 30-60 mins per day ... or at least 4 times a week. If you can do that, they'll be calm in the home and they're an amazing and extremely loyal breed with big personality.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice looking pup!

Pretty much anywhere in Manitoba has grouse and/or huns.

You want to look for areas with windrows, fence lines, pastures, bluffs, abandoned farm yards, riparian zones, willows, hawthorns, and a mixture of mature trees with low scrub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Uno,
you can head out to many of the "Wildlife Management Areas" or WMA's manitoba has set aside for hunting. They do hold a variety of grouse and they are scattered throughout the province. Try the Interlake area for a mixed bag of species. There are quite a few around Inwood all the way up to Poplarfield MB. (Just look for the giant buck)
Also Community Pastures are a huntable resource, as long as you sighn in at the pasture Managers office. And follow ALL the rules.
My advice is head to the map office on route 90, or your local Municipal office, and pick up some Municipal maps. They will show you all the Crownland, WMA's, and community pastures.
Cheers 🍻
P.s. please respect all private land owners by seeking and getting permission prior to walking/hunting on someone's land.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts