Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys: As being a newbie to Goose hunting i find myself really scratching my head lately.My son and i have been out quite a bit in the last 2 weeks for geese,and at first didn't really have any real problem bringing them into our decoys,we only have 3 dozen flocked shells [ho full bodies yet],but now they seem to want to land circling but then at the last minute it seems they don't like something and opt to land out 80-100 yrds away!We had this happen 3 days in a row at two different locations 15 miles apart.We used a basic "U" then a "V" and with wind shifting run out of our layout blinds and re-position the deeks only to find them lend behind 80 yrds or out front :? I was even thinking it was our blinds sitting a bit high so we removed the door frames to give them a lower profile,but it didn't help,maybe we needed more decoys,full bodies are on the way for next year,or maybe our calling needs major improvment,i will say flagging is very effective,we pulled in a flock of at least 100 birds that were 1/2 mile away only to have circle us and land 100 yrds out.Any suggestions from you more seasoned vets? And i guess thats why they call it hunting.
Do you find as the season progresses you need more decoys for these wary birds?Thanks in advance

·
Registered
125 Posts
Been a frustrating last 2 weekends to say the least. we are in the same boat. Have never done so poorly in quite a while

·
Registered
59 Posts
Next time you set your decoys try using a arrow head or X pattern, this way no matter what way the wind blows the birds will have a landing zone. Make sure your landing zone is not to tight if its to tight the birds will land short. Make sure you layout blinds are covered the best they can I know it's hard with the lack of cover in the feilds, if you can try digging your layout blinds in this way they will stick out less. As the season goes on birds become gun shy, this time of year I run 15-22 dozen Big Foots like the saying goes safety in numbers. Make sure all your decoys are not facing into the wind, birds that are all facing the wind tend to not look relaxed. As for calling once you have the birds locked into you decoys lay off the call or only blow the feeding call. If you are running Robo Ducks make sure they are turned of when the geese are coming, geese hate Robo Ducks they will land away everytime.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Are you waiting for them to land or are opening up when they come into range? Obviously ideal to put the hurt on them when they're about 6 feet off the ground, landing gear and flaps down but that doesn't happen often after they've been blasted for a month.

Put the doors back on the blinds and try digging the blinds down as dmeats stated. 6 inches is usually enough. Make sure that your mellons aren't sticking out too much either.

Are you placing some dekes right in front of your blinds to break up the blinds a little more. This helps to keep the birds focused on dekes as opposed to the big bumps.

The good news is that they aren't flaring off to the next field so there isn't a big problem with your set up. If they didn't like what they saw they'd bail out of there completely.

G

·
My spread triples in quantity from start of season to the end. Usually run a j pattern. A lot of guys run silhouettes around there layout blinds to cover there heights a little better. Watch if your in a lower spot on the field, prescouting the night before will show how they prefere to sit on the higher areas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have had problems just like this as well. They are coming in locked onto the decoys and then at the last minute decide to land behind us or to the field directly west. Tried many different set ups and still not much luck other than the odd strays.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Roooski said:
We have had problems just like this as well. They are coming in locked onto the decoys and then at the last minute decide to land behind us or to the field directly west. Tried many different set ups and still not much luck other than the odd strays.
If they are locked into your decoys and at the last second they land in the feild next to you, are you on the X the night before when you scouted the field, is the spot you are set up in the same spot were the birds were the night before? If not geese will come have a look at your spread but 80% of the birds are going to land in the same spot they were the night before. If they are landing behind you i would open your landing zone, I would also put more decoys behing you making the geese land in front of you and in your kill zone. How many decoys are you running? If you have a flag are you using it, a flag is a big tool in bring geese in to your decoys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the tips. We were set up pretty close to where they were the previous night. But we also noticed they have been in both fields the night before. We only have 24 decoys so far...wish they weren't so pricey!

I do not have a flag but have wanted to pick one up so I will do that now for sure. Keep the advice coming, as a novice hunter I appreciate every bit of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you guys think birds will get gun shy of an area? in a field. We have pits dug and have set up the same high spot since opener. With a strong south wind we get birds no matter what but the wind hasnt been from the south in a few weekends. Should we just fill the pits in and move?

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Chad are the birds going to that field when there is no hunting? They tend to disappear from a field after they've been shot at a couple of times. Even new birds will orient to fields that have existing birds or other birds landing. Time for you to invest in blinds to make you more mobile. I didn't know that people still dug pits.... :)

I believe that there's a lot of truth in dmeats statement about setting up in the exact place that the geese were feeding during the evening flight. However, I've seen hundreds of occasions where geese don't go back to that same location. First of all not all geese in a field feed in the same place. They're usually scattered around, feed for a bit, fly over a few dozen yards and start all over again. Plus once you've blasted at the bunch that was feeding in the spot you set up, they move on to another feeding area. Now all you'll get are the birds that fed in that "field" the evening before or birds that come over to check out your dekes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
for the first month tons of birds. now NONE, makes sense.. and we all decided on blinds today actually. Might have to buy one for next weekend. Just when you think you have an idea what your doing they come and do this to you lol, The quarter section east of us is a lure crop or whatever they call it and has had 0 birds in it the last 2 weekends. Now im confused

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chad the fields in the Hammock get hit hard during the week, by the outfitters and Americans. When I used to hunt the hammock I would set up 20-30 dozen decoys have 3-4 flags going we hunted in the area were the Americans would buy the fields from the farmers for the year. With my decoy spread we would what is called" traffic birds", what this is we would set up as close to the feild that had the bird in it the night before that we could get permission on. We would put our decoy spread out make sure our layout blinds were covered up and once the geese started flying we would call and flag like a mother focker. 90% of the geese would come by our feild 1st before going to the crop field they were in the night before by then it was to late for them as they were getting 3 1/2" shells shot at them. If you have the decoys and know how to call and flag you can get geese to come to your field with out them being there the night before, but it is way better if they already want into that field from the night before. When fields have birds in them one day and not the other the chance those birds are migrators, and have stopped for food and water and then take of after a few hours. This happens lots in the late season.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips dmeats44 and Andre',i do you use a flag and have turned and brought in flocks of geese,but this last week we have found it very tough to get them to commit with landing gear down.we do use some silosocks around our blinds as well,we will see what this week brings.

·
Registered
125 Posts
thanks dmeats and andre, I think we have been spoiled and are probably not the best callers and do not flag. Both things we need to work on it looks like. we are surrounded by outfitters (north and south) and it sucks when they are there. O well its still fun most the time ha,

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Surrounded by outfitters in the OH Managed area....Hmmmm. There are only 3 outfitters licensed for the managed area. One hunts almost exclusively outside the managed area as he owns property outside. One other does have access to many fields on the west side and does use them alot but he also hunts outside the west side of the managed area. The 3rd doesn't usually hunt inside the managed area much either.

We see more Manitobans than Americans inside the managed area.

Somebody is feeding you some lines on outfitter presence inside the managed area.

dmeats--I've been around the area for a while and I don't remember seeing any Canada goose decoy spreads numbering 100 let alone 300+. White flags for snows yes but never shells or full bodies for canadas. Who the heck can afford 300+ full bodies or even shells anyway?

·
Registered
125 Posts
andre, the guy south of 67 and east of oak hammock road, terry? has leased the quarter(I think its smaller due to the creek) north of us and has been there a few weekends we have been(we park our trucks beside each others). hes the main one I know and If I remember right almost due south is a guy but cant remember his name. He might not be a outfitter anymore tho as we havnt seen any huge set ups lately.

We talked to a guy from minne like 10 years ago and he had a 16' enclosed FULL of dekes lol. I would imagine that would be quite a FEW

·
Registered
59 Posts
Andre, I have not hunting the hammock for sometime now at least 12 years, but as for how can someone afford large spread of decoys. The trick is not to pay full retail for them buy them in the off season or direct from Bigfoot as for moving them around I have a 18ft enclosed trailer full to the top! As for the fish cops I have not been stopped by them in the last 10 years, do you guys even check goose hunters anymore??

·
Registered
869 Posts
dmeats44 said:
Andre, I have not hunting the hammock for sometime now at least 12 years, but as for how can someone afford large spread of decoys. The trick is not to pay full retail for them buy them in the off season or direct from Bigfoot as for moving them around I have a 18ft enclosed trailer full to the top! As for the fish cops I have not been stopped by them in the last 10 years, do you guys even check goose hunters anymore??

Me and Chad were checked on sept 15th. checked for hunter safty, plugs, game bird liscense and migratory liscense.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's good to know, there is to many white pail Ditch Shooters out there. Nothing pisses me off more than when you set your decoy spread out 2 hours before sunrise, to have some minivan ditch shooter show up at sun rise and shoot from the ditch!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts