Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take the breasts off the birds, soak for an hour or two in the fridge in a dilute brine. Then coat with shake and bake and into the oven. Add some Uncle Ben's Herb and Wild rice and you're set. Don't overcook and YUM.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Re: So, any bird hunters here?

wrapped in tinfoil with mushrooms, garlic butter, and some Mrs.dash, cooked over an open fire til just done is the best "chicken" I've ever had!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts

Oh man these recipes are making me hungry and itching for hunting season. For sure going to try some these new ways of making them.

·
Registered
869 Posts

Anything over the fire is pretty good :D Sounds like a good recipe patty, I usually give away a bit to people who appreciate wild game alot more than I do, I like adding grouse breasts/leg meat to soups/stews.

·
Registered
869 Posts

Another descent way to enjoy grouse is to put in a caserole dish, add canned cream of mushroom soup, some stove-top stuffing so the breasts are submerged in the mix, then bake. Thats how my Dad has made them. BBQing them wrapped in bacon is nice too.

·
Registered
389 Posts

This thread has gone way off topic. Checking out this thread just makes me hungry. I love hunting and eating ruffies. A hot cast iron pan,butter, bell peppers, fresh mushrooms, onions, garlic with a little salt and pepper, throw in a couple of grouse........mmmmmm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Saute chopped leeks and shittake mushrooms, mix with cream cheese and ground pepper...

Cut a slit in the ruffie breast and stuff with mix...

Season breasts, then flour, and sear with oil and butter mix until coloured on both sides, then finnish in the oven...

Deglaze pan that you've used for the chicken with white wine, add cream, reduce, and season!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Those are all great recipes I will have to try. My favourite and quickest way to cook grouse is to wrap the breasts in bacon and BBQ. People who have never tasted grouse before can't believe how good it is. Mind you anything wrapped in bacon is wonderful.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Slice the breast dip in Franks hot roll in Cajun fish crisp. Fry in a hot pan with butter. Use Ranch dressing as a dipping Sauce.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I did an amazing Thai green curry with grouse last year. I also have tried and like the mushroom soup in a crockpot similar to the recipe mentioned above. I find them to be like a dry white chicken meat and since I'm not a fan of white meat in chicken on its own, I usually prefer to cook them in sauce.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Get a good fire going and feed it lots of wood until you get a nice bed of coals... Wrap the breasts (bone in) in tin foil with some garlic butter and place directly into the coals... leave them in there for about 10-15 minutes (check and make sure they are done!!!) and enjoy!!! Good with a nice ice cold beer!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
battered with cajun injector batter mix and deep fried.... best "chicken" fingers you could get. or just go classic and wrap in bacon and lil S&P and bake em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts