Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just read another post on here about the way deer behave when they spot you and it reminded me of something that happened to me in 2011 rifle season. I was sat with my back to a tree with 5 feet of tall grass and saplings in front then a unharvested oat field the field was too wet so the farmer just left it ( boy was i happy, never seen so many deer in one place) anyway the rut was in full swing and i had just shot my biggest buck a nice typical 4x4 with a huge body. He dropped to my heart shot at 80 yards and never twitched after calming down and getting my breath back from running to get a look at him i dragged him back through 1 foot of snow to were i was sitting to take the shot leaving a huge blood trail ( i bleed my deer straight away). i sat back down in my spot and lit a smoke to wait for my buddy who was hunting a stand in-between me and the truck i didn't want to ruin his hunt and i knew he wouldn't wait long after hearing my shot. So i'm sitting there smoking and panting like an old dog from dragging and this year and a half old doe walks out taking the exact same path the buck took right to where i shot him, sniffed the blood then followed the blood trail like a hound right to the dead buck 10 feet from me. I was thinking she is going to run any second but she just kept coming until she almost fell over the buck now she's got to bolt right but no she started snorting and stamping her feet like she was trying to wake him up totally oblivious of me 10feet away. Then she smells around and follows my boot tracks to where i'm sitting and does the same thing to me this goes on for a couple of minutes then she ran in to the bush past me stops turns around and comes to the tree i'm leaning against and starts the whole song and dance again not 3 feet from me time to have some fun. I slowly raise the grunt tube to my lips and let out a huge snort weeze right in her face. You should have seen the look on her face i think she almost had a heart attack she must have jumped 10 feet in the air fell over rolled and ran for the hills hitting every stump branch and bush for the next 500 yards. i wish i had a camcorder it was the experience of a lifetime i will never forget that hunt.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That is a great experience, and congrats on the buck. I've had similar stuff like that happen, deer seem to be curious about the blood trails more than affraid of them. I have shot deer before and followed the blood to the dead deer, gutted it, walked back to the cabin to get the quad, and when going back have seen new deer tracks in the snow, following the blood trail right to the gut pile and dead deer. A buddy has seen deer, both bucks and does, licking gut piles before also. Its not the gut pile or blood that freak deer out and make them clear outta a spot for a day or two, its the coyotes that come into the area to get the guts. Acouple seasons ago i shot a small spike buck with my bow, there was a large blood spot on the ground where i hit him, the very next day, muzzleloader hunting outta the same stand i shot my biggest buck to date ( mid 140's 5x5) in the exact same spot as the spkier. He sniffed the blood spot and was maybe 10 yards from the gut pile. In my experiences, 99 times outta 100 the blood and guts won't scare deer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's never happened to me, but on two occasions, my dad had deer walk right up to him as he was gutting the one he just shot. I've always thought that deer aren't scared by gut piles or blood as a result.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Have a recipe for a deer lure (no longer legal here) in which you add freshly killed deer blood to dure urine or gland secretions, Used to work amazing!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts