Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

Funniest Hunting Related Story

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Tailhunter 
#1 ·
What's the funniest hunting related story you've either been involved in, or heard of?

Back in the late 70s and through the 80s, I guided deer hunters in the mountains of Western Maine. On one of the hunts, I had a client from Brooklyn, N.Y. The night before his hunt, we got about 6 - 8 inches of light, fluffy snow. The perfect kind for tracking. Dawn broke with a few flurries coming down, a light, but steady breeze, and about 30 degrees F. While driving in to the hunting area on one of the logging roads, I saw the track of a heavy buck crossing the track, and immediately parked the rig and we got on his trail. The buck was only about a half hour ahead of us, and moving in a generally straight line through the hardwoods. After a short time on the track, I saw where the deer had relieved himself and he left behind a fair amount of shiney, moist brown droppings. My client immediately asked, "are they fresh?". Well, I always carried a jacket pocket full of chocolate covered raisins for snacking on the trail. As I stooped down, I palmed a handfull of them, and pushed my closed hand down into the snow, and slowly brought it back up to chest level. I squeezed the mixture of the raisins and snow in my hand, slowly opened it up, took a sniff, and told him that they smelled fresh, but, there's really only one sure way to tell. At that point, I popped them into my mouth, took a quick chew or two, and immediately spit them out, and pronounced them as extremely fresh. My hunter immediately lost his breakfast, and kept telling me he thought I had to be crazy.

We ended up getting his buck about 1 1/2 hours later, a 237# 10 pointer, still in his bed.

Back at camp that evening, my hunter made it a point to tell all the other guides that he was sure I was crazy for eating deer droppings to see if they were fresh. Of course the guides knew what was going on, because they're the ones who got me on that trick the first year I hunted with them. They kept on telling him that there's no more sure fire way to determine the droppings freshness, other than watching the deer deposit them. All evening my hunter kept shaking his head, muttering "these guys are crazy. These guys are crazy". I only wish I could have seen the look on his friends faces, back in New York, when he told them the story.

See less See more
#4 ·
My hunting buddies and I met at lunch in the truck. We were all honking and playing music on out assorted deer calls,lol, 3 mouth blown calls and one or two can calls with the windows open,and making a heck of a racket. Most of it sounded like duck calls more than anything else, haha. We stopped the ruckus, and my cousin commented that he wondered where all the deer were. My other cousin says right there, and points straight ahead. About 75 yards ahead of us a deer stepped out and started feeding. Now we are not sure, did we serenade it in, or was it just hungry? This was at about 12:30 pm.

#8 ·
One year I was hunting Pronghorn in central Wyoming, north of Casper. This was a guided camp, and the outfitter had a pretty nice camp set up using several trailers. One was a dining, shower room, and a gathering place to relax before and after meals, and to swap lies of the day's hunting. Another was arranged into bunk rooms. Now, I have no problem if someone wants to have a drink or three or four after dinner, but one of the hunters was a very loud, obnoxious drunkard. He made it very hard for the other hunters and guides to fall asleep, with his carrying on. At breakfast the third morning in camp, this chap let it slip out that he was deathly afraid of rattle snakes, which happened to inhabit this area, and in September could be found sunning themselves on warm afternoons. (I guess you see where this might be going). Well, that afternoon, one of the guides came across a road killed Bull Snake...non-venomous, but get up to 6 feet long. This one was a good 5 footer. He brought it back to camp, and while the party animal was taking his shower before dinner, he let us all in on his plan. He went over to the sleeping trailer, and deposited the dead critter in the bottom of the guys sleeping bag. We all made it a point to outlast the guy, and stayed up while he finally made his way to the bunk house trailer. After about 5 minutes, we heard a loud "what the @#$%...RATTLE SNAKE!". That was followed by 5 rifle shots, which were followed by the guy running out the door screaming, followed by his falling down the trailer steps. We went over to the trailer, laughing our butts off when we saw the inside of the trailer. He had blown his $400.00 Eddie Bauer Down Filled Sleeping Bag to smitherenes. The area looked like the aftermath of a pillow fight at an all girls slumber party. The guy was so shook up that he refused to go to sleep that night, and at dawn pulled out of camp 2 days early, and headed home.Yea, it was a nasty trick to pull on him, but paybacks are a ....well, you know.

#10 ·
Re: Funniest Hunting Related Storya

A few years ago my father in law filled his tag with a couple days left to hunt so he was party hunting on my tag. We did a push on a quarter section of bush hoping to make the deer move. The deal was that any deer he shot had to be a decent buck, he was posting and I heard his 308 go off. When I came out and met him at the fenceline I asked how big the buck was, he brought me over to where it was and it was a decent 4x4. As we where looking at it and he was getting ready to field dress it we heard walking in front of us, we didn't look up to see who it was assuming it was someone else from our party. When we did look up it was a nice little 3x3, with more open tags in our party there wasn't any talk about What to do, just any easy 40yd shot. Didn't think a buck would walk in while we stood there and talked.

#11 ·
This didn't happen to me but to my Dad. It was towards the end of the season and he had been out for a few days without seeing anything. One day he came back to the farm in the evening, thinking he was done for the day. He put the rifle in the house and got ready to go to town. When he came back out and looked across the yard, there was a nice young buck just standing there. So he quietly went back inside and got the rifle and filled his tag.

#12 ·
A few years back, my buddy and I were starting to venture out further and further away from where we parked the truck. Now I already had a quad for hauling out our animals but my buddy did not, but in order to try and save money he bought an old 3 wheeler. Made himself a big rear rack for it too. I had some concerns, but he assured me it would work. Anyways , about half-way thru muzzle season I connect on a nice big doe and my buddy proudly comes to my location on his trike to pick up the animal. As soon as we get the doe strapped down on the bike I see issues, the front of the trike is looking very "light". I told my buddy lean way over the handle bars or you ain't gonna be able to steer. "Don't worry!" he says. So he heads out towards the trail and I start out on a short cut to the truck. I don't get 20 steps when I hear :"hey HEY!".I look back and there's my bud doing a wheely down the trail! The doe roles off the back, he falls on top of the doe, and the bike KEEPS GOING on its 2 back wheels! It went about 30 yards just walking along on its 2 back tires until it walked into a tree! I just said " I hate to say I told you so but......". After some good laughs we reloaded and we slowly made it back to the truck. Needless to say, my buddy now has a quad! :lol:

#13 ·
Last year I went hunting with my brother and father. We're not big hunters but our basic plan is drive out to the bush, walk around and hope to see a deer, and shoot said deer if we see it.

Well we were in the bush by sunup, walked all day and night without seeing a thing. Finally it's starting to get dark, so my dad says "Well, I've been hauling around this cooler bag with 3 "victory beers" all day, we might as well have 'em before we walk back to the truck".

So the 3 of us each drink our beer (in shame of course since we hadn't been successful :lol: ) and then just sort of set them up along a fallen tree 20 yards away. We only have 1 hunting rifle that we all just take turns with, so anyways there are 3 rounds loaded so I shoot the first can and knock it down. Pass the gun off to my dad and he shoots the 2nd can. He passes off to my brother who takes aim and knocks down the last can.

As if they'd heard us empty the clip, OF COURSE 4 deer go charging out of the bush not 20 feet away from us and run down the trail and eventually back into the bush!

Couldn't have scripted it any better, as my brother was running over to my dad asking where the extra ammo was, and I was considering throwing my shoe at the damned things!

#15 ·
JetsOrBust said:
Last year I went hunting with my brother and father. We're not big hunters but our basic plan is drive out to the bush, walk around and hope to see a deer, and shoot said deer if we see it.

Well we were in the bush by sunup, walked all day and night without seeing a thing. Finally it's starting to get dark, so my dad says "Well, I've been hauling around this cooler bag with 3 "victory beers" all day, we might as well have 'em before we walk back to the truck".

So the 3 of us each drink our beer (in shame of course since we hadn't been successful :lol: ) and then just sort of set them up along a fallen tree 20 yards away. We only have 1 hunting rifle that we all just take turns with, so anyways there are 3 rounds loaded so I shoot the first can and knock it down. Pass the gun off to my dad and he shoots the 2nd can. He passes off to my brother who takes aim and knocks down the last can.

As if they'd heard us empty the clip, OF COURSE 4 deer go charging out of the bush not 20 feet away from us and run down the trail and eventually back into the bush!

Couldn't have scripted it any better, as my brother was running over to my dad asking where the extra ammo was, and I was considering throwing my shoe at the damned things!
:lmao: , I have learned the lesson the hard way to, always be 100% ready and loaded, if not, that is when you will see them. Great story!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.