Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i was wondering when we get really bad wet/windy weather,have you found most birds[geese] just sit tight??Do they ride it out even for 2-3 days? we were out this morning and got soaked but it was kinda fun in it's own way,we managed a couple but there was hardly anything flying,can't really blame them and with these strong northerly winds it should move more ducks down? trying to decide if it is worth while going out in this weather tomorrow,i know you can't harvest any sitting in your living room but.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can beat the duck action in this weather... Sucks sitting in the office watching show fly and winds blow when I can be out in the boat over some decoys.....

The geese will fly lower in this weather as well which will get them into your dekes quicker....

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was at Grant's Lake with a friend about 25 years ago. It was one of the funiest things you could see. It had rained just a little. Just enough to make the mud very sticky. The poor ducks were coming at us flying just off the ground feet packed full of mud and straw trailing behind. It was almost unfare.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Fowl weather not foul, that should explain it.

The cold will cause the birds to need to feed more, they also have to commit more when landing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the opinions,what i was really wondering was if the wind really hurts their wings/feathers? I heard that was the reason why they choose not to fly much in extreme winds.we will be in our blinds in the morning fighting the weather.with all the wet weather we may need a six wheel drive to get into the field :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
i was really wondering was if the wind really hurts their wings/feathers?
not at all just means there more eager to get out the sky and feed and another good thing about strong wind is it muffles the shot so incoming birds dont even flinch

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have also noticed that dark grey skies tend to limit what the birds can see and tend not flare as there is no chance of shine or reflection. It's been said lots. The stormier the better. I know a few guys that won't even go out on blue-bird warm days.

On another note, saw plenty of birds heading out the fields off of the Red this morning on my way into Winnipeg. They seemed to be handling the winds better than I could driving on the ground!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well I love bad weather for waterfowl but I got skunked twice today at Grants. i was there before light and hunted to about 9am then came back after work. Maybe it's that it's too dry in there. I didn't even see 20% of what I usually see flying there. It was my first trip to Grants this year because I was waiting for it to get nasty out.
I brought a coworker out for her first hunting experience. Too bad it didn't include some shooting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
went out this morning in this beautiful weather.
not even a bird in the air, nothing moving, I think since this all started yesterday, the birds probably haven't moved alot. most likely found a good food source in a field and have stayed there and will continue to stay until the weather calms down at least a little bit.

sure was pretty this morning if you were looking out from the truck. not so pretty standing in the wind and snow.

gonna give'r another go on sunday morning. gonna try a spot i haven't hunted in about 5 years. hopefully its as good as it was back then.

Allan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was out this morning in the fields, lots of birds but they seemed to want to stay on the water. The ones that came in were on a mission. Still have 2 more hunting days this weekend. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we went out to play in the snow/wind,and we had lots of geese landing 60yrds behind us argh.but we did mange to harvest 5 nice Canada's. i think they were spooked by our layout blinds even though we hid them well,with straw/snow,i think it's that they still sit a little high,might try and take out the door frames so they will have less of a profile.I also think snow accumulating on the decoys wasn't good either.Can hardly wait for tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts