Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some buddies and myself are flying out to caribou camp once again. We fly out of Thompson on Sept 20th to Caribou Country Adventure's camp. This will be the third year in a row that myself and one of the other guys will be heading up to hunt with Ron and Allan. Super great guys that run a good camp. Great food, comfortable, and very helpful guys. We had a blast the last two times, and I'm sure this time will be the same. Here's a couple pics of caribou that I've shot up there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! After this hunt I'm going to take a break from the fly in's and go back to doing the winter season caribou for a while. It's a different hunt, but still a lot of fun.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a shoulder mount done in velvet on it so I never put a tape to it. Guesstimate would be in the 320's. It was taken the first time I went up, 2010. My buddy Dale shot the 2010 provincial champ when we were there. 396 and 2/8ths

Reactions: taxi and Riggs

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
offshoreonly said:
Ever kill one with a bow?
I haven't taken a bow up, but one of my buddies did last year. Took one with rifle, and one with bow. Last year was a tough year because the migration didn't happen until the camps were over. On a normal year there are some really nice spots for bow hunting in Caribou Country Adventures area.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I saw your buddy's mount at the banquet. I believe that was the first time Ron and Alan had a provincial champ come out of thier camp.

Anyway good luck on your trip. Post on your return. Interested to hear how you make out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I believe you are right, it was the first provincial champ to come from Ron and Allan's camp. It dwarfed the next biggest that we took that week and it scored in the mid 350's.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, and if things go well I'll have something to post here at the end of September :cool:

·
2013 MHF Trail Cam contest Winner
207 Posts
We will see you up there, I'm going in the group just a head of you. Talked with Alan the other day and he said there are lots of Caribou around.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it's been almost a full month since we got back from camp and it's time to put up a couple pics. I'd have done it sooner, but it's the fall, and of course there's to many other things to do, like scout, set up stands and blinds, take the brush mower to the fencelines on my deer hunting land, etc., etc. ;)

We had another great time with Allan and Ron. Camp was as good as it's ever been, and we enjoyed some of the coolest weather we've had while fall caribou hunting yet. A little rain, a little snow, and of course wind, but no complaints. Everyday we were up there I had a smile on my face that you couldn't erase. It was the slowest hunt in terms of animals that we've had so far, but the quickest when they just appeared out of what seemed like no where. We all could have easily filled both of our tags, but we go looking for bigger mature bulls. Everybody in camp shot one, and my buddy Colin filled both his tags. The animals were there, we were just looking for something bigger. Oh well, we're booked in for September 4, 2014, so maybe I'll run into a booner next time. Here's a couple pics :D

FYI, he was wearing an orange toque over his hat while hunting, and took it off for the pics.

Reactions: Riggs

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Congratulations on a job well done! Do you have any photos of camp?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Congrats!! we went out Weldon and Ron at blue sky on Sept 22. We had a great time, but the Caribou just were not there. Our group saw 2 and shot 2, nothing big. We plan on going back in a couple years and trying it again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice caribou......Weldon mentioned to me that later in the season things were slowing up quite drastically.It is very touch and go as to when the animals will be there.Sometimes earlier in the season is better other years the later part of the season.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Riggs said:
Congratulations on a job well done! Do you have any photos of camp?
Here's a couple Riggs, I know I've got better on a flash drive, but it must by at the cabin.

The sleeping quarters

Cooking/eating/drinking ;) tent

A pic from on top of the hill behind camp by the game pole

1 - 20 of 23 Posts