Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken with a Winchester Featherweight in .270 and 150 grain Nosler Partition. Don't know the range, but it was 297 paces, just after first light. Didn't have range finders back then.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bigolebuck said:
Thats a lotta paces....nice shooting
Thanks. The shot really wasn't too difficult. At my gun club they have targets out to 500 yards, so the practice paid off. Also, I was able to get prone for the shot, which made it a lot easier. The toughest thing was that the morning sun was directly behind the deer. My buddy held his hat above the scope to shade it from the sun, or else I wouldn't have been able to take the shot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Where's the tree's? Looks like you shot that in speed goat country. Hopefully your second NORTHERN whitetail involved a few shrubs. :lol:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
canadian-ice said:
Where's the tree's? Looks like you shot that in speed goat country. Hopefully your second NORTHERN whitetail involved a few shrubs. :lol:
Nice observation. Actually, he was shot about 1500 yards or so from some lovely, pine covered hills that the deer in the area use as a bedding area. The deer would come down into the fields around sunset to feed, and start making their way back to the bedding area around sunrise. And yes, there were a few speed goats around there. :)

Yes my second, third, and fourth Northern Whitetail hunts involved a lot more trees...mostly cottonwoods in the creek bottoms, and pines and aspens in the hills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts