Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just moved north to the Pas and i am going to try for a Moose this season. I have never hunted Moose before any tips on locations and tactics to bag my first Moose

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I'm envious. Get a call, an instruction video, practice and then get away from the beaten path. If you can hook up with a local to show you around and mentor you, even better.

G

·
Went last season for a first time early season moose hunt! Not that experienced but one factor for us was the traditional birch bark call has a more realistic sound and will carry a lot further then a lot of the modern calls!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with the birch bark as well for an excellent call. As for locating, pick a spot that is near water and get away from high traffic areas where large amounts of hunters have an easy time getting to. That extra couple hours of work will usually pay off to get farther back into country that doesnt get accessed very much.

G

·
Keep in mind that if you get one down there is a lot of work involved! We had a small tarp with us and slipped it under one side of the moose and proceeded to skin that side of the animal! We then rolled him over onto the tarp and finished skinning! What made life easy was the fact that No Show had brought along a small chainsaw for quartering the animal! Instead of chain oil he had cooking oil in the unit! Worked very well! Also watch wich game bags you purchase! We had a few sets and had to use 2 per quarter! Our quarters were fair size due to the fact we split the animal in 4 with not a piece of meat left behind! Even the ribs were brought back!
Just always keep in the back of your mind that you have to get that animal out of the bush! Could be the difference between pulling the trigger or passing on the animal depending on terrain and available man power! We were lucky enough that No Show dropped his bull 20' from the lake shore! Still lots of work to prep the animal!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Six years ago I shot a moose on the shoreline that then proceeded to run into deep water and die. We lassooed a rope around his rack and with two 14ft. boats c/w 9.9 hp outboards towed him back to camp, winched him up on a sloped rock near the cabin and gutted and quartered him- couldn't have been any easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts