Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out and got my limit then on the way back up the ditch the dog found a bird that had been shot by another hunter or possibly pricked by me. What do i do with the bird my ethics say don't waste it, but the NRO that stops me on the way home has "heard that one before" just curious as i have found dead birds before but never had my limit at the time.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's not wasted, in nature something will eat it. If you have your limit leave it, I
The bird won't be worth the trouble you could get into

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I agree with sled in... It may not seem to be the right thing to do at the time but will save you lots of grief if you do get stopped... Coyotes and foxes etc. will clean it up in no time...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Leave it, I'm sure Andre has heard guys that are over the limit say that exact story a hundred times so it's not worth proving you are honest and innocent.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Your limit is supposed to count all downed birds, not just the ones you find. You're supposed to go look for each downed bird after shooting and finish any wounded birds off.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know but i have shot at birds that i was sure i had missed only to see them tumble from the sky 500yards later. But the situation i speak of is when a wounded bird that someone else shot maybe 5 miles away lands and dies in the ditch i am working with the dog

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I would leave it... Not worth the headache... Sometimes doing the right thing isn't the right thing to do!!!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
This is a common scenario actually. The first question that you should ask yourself is if the bird is still good to eat. If not, then it's simple as you leave the critter where you found. If you think it's good to eat then the most correct answer is to try to contact an officer and relate the story. The officer probably knows people in the community who would be happy to receive donated wild meat. We can't tell a person to keep it if it puts that person over a limit. We can however authorize that person to transport that bird to an officer.

Transporting or possessing the bird(s) without authority can place you over a limit if checked by an officer. If 8 ducks are still warm and one is cold we could certainly give benefit of doubt to the hunter as it is very likely an older kill and not part of that hunter's bag limit. The hunter is however possessing more birds than allowed so a ticket is definitely an option.

An officer may be able to tie this dead critter to a previous offense by a or some violators.

It is ALWAYS better to play it safe by contacting an officer at the time or when able to.

There is nothing wrong with leaving it in the boonies as scavengers will clean it up in no time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
pull some feathers from the breast and put the back of your hand on the skin and if it isn't warm, it hasn't been killed recently.

leave it with breast up and magpies or something can feast.

on a side note, i found 4 Canada geese just south of riverton in a ditch that weren't plucked or anything. Magpies jumped up and i went to see what was there. I was with people that aren't hunters and it sheds a bad light on all of us.

to the person or persons that did it, get a life.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not a bad idea to count potentially wounded birds and lost birds as part of your limit too. I feel bad enough about losing a bird.....the least a guy can do is count it among your limit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
my dad dropped 9 canadas with 2 shots 2 weekends ago. He ended up giving the extra away to a older fellow huntin near by. I think it happens, atleast with 8 limiting out now is more of a challenge

·
Registered
59 Posts
ChaD? said:
my dad dropped 9 canadas with 2 shots 2 weekends ago. He ended up giving the extra away to a older fellow huntin near by. I think it happens, atleast with 8 limiting out now is more of a challenge
Can you say flock shooter!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I find it hard enough to shoot 3 in 3 shots with the crap steel we are supposed to shoot now. Must have used a 300 WM and lined em up in row i guess eh?

·
Registered
125 Posts
lol. buy better shells, and get bigger flocks landing. We took 12 shots and dropped WAY more then 12 birds one day (we crawled for a mile in a wet ditch to get them that day). Noone ever believes the story so dont tell it often lol. Its funny as hell watching your dog have no idea where to begin and just go nuts lol.

[BBvideo 425,350:198d5bix]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYMqZx3goY&feature=plcp[/BBvideo:198d5bix]

·
Registered
244 Posts
In the fall of 1986 most farmers couldn't get into their wet fields to swath or combine their crops and there were huge potholes in fields everywhere. The limit on mallards was 4 so we had to watch how many birds we shot but there were days when we would only jump shoot one pothole and 4 of us would have our limits. You'd shoot at a duck in the rising flock and you would see ducks falling and blue sky would appear behind them. 1986 and 1987 were probably the best shooting I have seen overall for a whole season. I was out in the big migration of 1995 that screwed up DOPPLER because there were so many birds moving but nobody would believe that story.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll buy that.
My Old Man (R.I.P.) put down 6 Hungarian Partiges with one shot! :eek:
I couldn"t even see what he was aiming at till the flurry of flip floppin feathers exploded!! :shock:
He let me take the one that managed to make it to the nearest branch.
I was only 12, but I could count and I did, 3 times.
:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts