Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I sit here this morn with a big smile on my face!
Yesterday, moose opener up here, we did our chores around the lodge until mid afternoon and decided to get out to our Moose area and set up a trail cam, try some calling, and just get the first hunt jitters out of our system -

It is a walk in to this spot, about a mile from the lake shore - My gal Cindy, was all jazzed up as she missed a bull in this same spot last year - we trudged thru, got to the area only to see minimal sign - we sat and called, and called, with no response - other than a wolf... as the sun was kissing the horizon, I decided we should go to the lakeshore and look in the mud to see if there are tracks - and of course call a bit till dark...
Down we went, about 200yds from our first spot - hit the mud, and there were tracks everywhere.... I let out a cow call and wasnt halfway thru it when we heard a very loud MWAHH right back at us - we paused, waited a few secs, then again - MWAHH - very close - all of a sudden, 20yds in front of us, the willows erupted and out comes this bull, pissed right off, and looking right at us - Cindy had her gun up with a solid poplar tree as a rest - all I heard was "Holy Crap" and "OMG" then the little Tikka 7mm-08 with a 140gr NAB went BANG!....
The Moose veered around, started running away, then turned back at us and fell on its side - 10yds from where we saw it! A nice 40" bull!

It seems as tho all that practise finally paid off - one shot, dead moose - upon autopsy, (moose was quartering towards us) the bullet went in ahead of the front shoulder on one side, and exited just behind the other shoulder... bullet passed right thru the heart!

We gutted and tarped it up last eve, with the plan to head back today and haul it out.... anyone want to help???? As happy as I am right now, in 12 hours I know I will be hating life!

Anyhow, good luck to the rest of you, after 6 years of hunting these, this is my / our first (conservation tag)!

Here is a pic of the bullet hole right thru the heart!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow congrats on the moose. I am feeling a little weak right now, that could have been me. The chance to go on a moose hunt fell through earlier this year ( I am not even sure why) but I will not speak about that now. Any one can shoot a deer, catch a fish, but once you have shot a moose you have done something.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow,cant beat that kind of start to a season,high five to Cindy,and her guide....nice looking bull,wow,they sure have big hearts eh! Have fun hauling him out Chris.
Mmmmmm Moose burgers in March??

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice looking Moose!

I'd love to go moose hunting some time but don't really have the time (or money) to invest. That looks like a great one though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome!! That's a great story. Congrats to both of you.
Gawd, I miss moose hunting.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
You need to extend that hunting story into a two or three pager Chris! I'm sure that our interest will be kept for the duration. Outstanding and congratulations Cindy!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
chrism said:
Well, I sit here this morn with a big smile on my face!
Yesterday, moose opener up here, we did our chores around the lodge until mid afternoon and decided to get out to our Moose area and set up a trail cam, try some calling, and just get the first hunt jitters out of our system -

It is a walk in to this spot, about a mile from the lake shore - My gal Cindy, was all jazzed up as she missed a bull in this same spot last year - we trudged thru, got to the area only to see minimal sign - we sat and called, and called, with no response - other than a wolf... as the sun was kissing the horizon, I decided we should go to the lakeshore and look in the mud to see if there are tracks - and of course call a bit till dark...
Down we went, about 200yds from our first spot - hit the mud, and there were tracks everywhere.... I let out a cow call and wasnt halfway thru it when we heard a very loud MWAHH right back at us - we paused, waited a few secs, then again - MWAHH - very close - all of a sudden, 20yds in front of us, the willows erupted and out comes this bull, pissed right off, and looking right at us - Cindy had her gun up with a solid poplar tree as a rest - all I heard was "Holy Crap" and "OMG" then the little Tikka 7mm-08 with a 140gr NAB went BANG!....
The Moose veered around, started running away, then turned back at us and fell on its side - 10yds from where we saw it! A nice 40" bull!

It seems as tho all that practise finally paid off - one shot, dead moose - upon autopsy, (moose was quartering towards us) the bullet went in ahead of the front shoulder on one side, and exited just behind the other shoulder... bullet passed right thru the heart!

We gutted and tarped it up last eve, with the plan to head back today and haul it out.... anyone want to help???? As happy as I am right now, in 12 hours I know I will be hating life!

Anyhow, good luck to the rest of you, after 6 years of hunting these, this is my / our first (conservation tag)!

Here is a pic of the bullet hole right thru the heart!
How about doing the story as a submission for Manitoba Outdoors?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Day two.....
I am home with JD/ginger in hand, happier than a pig-in-poop!

This morning, we drove into GR to visit some friends who have "been there/done that" with this sort of thing (knocking down a beast in the middle of nowhere) - he went into the back and came out this little honda trike, one that he claimed we could actually pick up and put in the boat - a little 180cc big red... so we took him up on his offer, and headed back to get ready to go get this critter... two charged 18v batts for the recip saw, packed lots water, knives, tarps, etc and off we went.

It was a bit of a challenge getting the bike out in the waves, but we managed and loaded up the trailer and drove in the most crazy zig-zag pattern around the trees and such - this was an old burn area that was never replanted, so the going wasnt too bad.... GPS said 1866 meters, took us about an hour to get there with trike and trailer

Cindy started skinning it while I held the legs to free the hide... it took us about two hours to skin and cut into 6 pieces, some of which we could barely lift into the trailer..man I wish I had a pulley/winch! Blackflies and mosquitoes were from hell!

the ride back took a bit longer, as the trike struggled over some logs and rock - yours truly was pushing most of the way out! Once to shore, all was unloaded into the boat, drove back here, loaded the boat and pressure washed the bits of dirt and hair off the meat - viola! done for the night!

I am so glad we are done... oh I am glad we are done!

The skinning has started...

And continues...

DONE!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words and such - made Cindy's day!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts