Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so guys what is your favourite calibre for deer? i use a 30-06 but am looking at getting a 270 the reason i got a 30-06 was because i could only afford 1 gun at the time and thought there is nothing you can't hunt with a 30-06 but i want to get a deer rifle and i believe 207 is the way to go what's your choice for White Tail
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
My favorite for hunting in thicker bush is a Remington 760 carbine in 30:06 with 180 grain Barnes X bullets. I use them because I can shoot no matter what angle the deer is standing (or running) and not have to worry about enough penetration.

When I'm hunting more open terrain, I go to my Remington African Plains Rifle in 300 Win Mag, with the same bullet, for the same reason.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
349 Posts
I like my 270WSM. I like a flat trajectory. I've been using the Barnes TSX and TTSX and they pass right through every time, but open up so fast they leave a killer entry wound and do plenty of damage, but hold together about 100%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I'm a fan of the 270win, but even bigger fan of the 270wsm. Shooting 110ttsx and so far have been impressed what they have done on game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 270. Jack O'Connor loved it, so that's good enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Up to last year I too had the most popular big game caliber in NA, the .30-06. But I am a recent convert to the 7 mm Rem Mag. I love this gun I picked up the Browning X-bolt and it has to be the nicest easiest gun I have ever fired, and deadly to any distance I am willing to shoot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
Red_River_Clay said:
Up to last year I too had the most popular big game caliber in NA, the .30-06. But I am a recent convert to the 7 mm Rem Mag. I love this gun I picked up the Browning X-bolt and it has to be the nicest easiest gun I have ever fired, and deadly to any distance I am willing to shoot.
Welcome to MHF. The 7mm Remy is another great round that will reach out and touch 'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
I like my 30-06. Verstile gun, easy to get brass. I usually always just use 150g and never had issues, I think everyone should be using 243. or bigger with at least 100gr projectile, At the end of the day shot placement is the biggest thing imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I have heard that this year the minimum cal in Manitoba for deer will be the .243. No more .22-250, .222, .223's allowed. I agree I think that extra ft-lbs are needed on some of the big brutes out there. And shot placement is critical, hit'em in the wrong spot and a .270 can damage just as much meat as anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
.30-06 for me too. I have also killed deer with a .308, 30-30, .303 and 7mmWSM. i love my .30-06, i use 125gr. and 150gr. for deer. I like the fact that it is a calibre that is popular, cause you can find ammo almost anywhere it is sold...unless they are sold out. Shoots good and can reach out to longer distances if you need to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
offshoreonly said:
I like my 30-06. Verstile gun, easy to get brass. I usually always just use 150g and never had issues, I think everyone should be using 243. or bigger with at least 100gr projectile, At the end of the day shot placement is the biggest thing imo.
You're spot on about shot placement. A deer that's gut shot with a 375, is still a gut shot deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
mikeh416Rigby said:
Red_River_Clay said:
Up to last year I too had the most popular big game caliber in NA, the .30-06. But I am a recent convert to the 7 mm Rem Mag. I love this gun I picked up the Browning X-bolt and it has to be the nicest easiest gun I have ever fired, and deadly to any distance I am willing to shoot.
Welcome to MHF. The 7mm Remy is another great round that will reach out and touch 'em.
Big fan of 7mm Rem Mag. nice and flat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
Red_River_Clay said:
I have heard that this year the minimum cal in Manitoba for deer will be the .243. No more .22-250, .222, .223's allowed. I agree I think that extra ft-lbs are needed on some of the big brutes out there. And shot placement is critical, hit'em in the wrong spot and a .270 can damage just as much meat as anything else.
It used to say " Centerfire calibers of .23 or less are not RECOMMENDED for big game", It would be nice to see it changed to .243... Like everybody else has stated you can wound them just as easy with a big caliber as a small one, wounded is wounded....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
I think it's "The Weatherby Theory"....The idea is essentially using larger, faster calibers like the 300win etc, Something to the degree of dropping a small pebble in a pond it makes small ripple, drop a larger one bigger ripples, you can see it on slow-mo shots on animals where the skin on the animal ripples and you can hear the "Whack" noise when an arrow connects to the animals. obviously using a larger projectile, so long as it expands will do more damage to than a smaller calibre but those ripples (If I'm not mistaken) represent extra blunt-force trauma, bursting blood vessels, veins and bones. I'm kinda convinced, When I was buying factory when I started deer hunting I was using 180gr in my 30-06 (If I remember right it was right before deer season and couldn't find anything smaller in my town). Anyways, So for my first 3 yeards of deer hunting all 4 of the deer I took with that rifle didn't take a step, Granted two of them were spine shots but the other two were right on the shoulder blade. I'm sure everyone at some point has seen what can happen when you put a round RIGHT in the shoulder, you turn the chest into a grenade, bone flies into the lungs and heart, chest cavity filling up with blood, assuming you have an exit wound, both shoulders are finished, deer cant get up. Another perfect example of this is my hunting buddy shot a deer with his 7mm (I think he was using 150+ noslers with a hot load) regardless he ended up just clipping the stirnum but enough of the bone got blown back into the chest cavity the deer dropped.


Food for thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
May or may not sound like I'm talking out my @$$ but I think its worth messing up a bit of meat using a 270 or higher than having the stress of tracking a wounded animal. Easier on you and the animal.

For the record I don't use 180's anymore because I found a 150 projectile I like for my loads :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
I bought the 30-06 because it is one round that I can hunt anything I want. Many different bullet styles and grains to choose from for reloading, and fairly flat shooting. I am going to use it as long as I can. I did just pick up a 243 though, for a back up, and to teach my kids with once they are old enough.
 
1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Top