Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's you favorite caliber for Moose, Elk, and Black Bear? There's a lot of good ones out there that will get the job done.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I like using my 300 Win Mag, but if I'm hunting in thick stuff, I'll bump up to my 375.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I like my .300 win mag now. Gets the job done on everything that I can hunt around here. Same bullet too. Not going to try and fix what ain't broke. Got over that a few years ago.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have not had the chance to go after any of those yet, but when I do, I will have my -06 in my hands. For the bear I may just load up with some heavier lead, just because I can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For the bigger animals, elk moose and bear I built myself a 338-06 off of a Remington 700 action, for everything else its a 6.5x55 all the way.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My new kick for bears is to use a Winchester Model 94 .38-55. It's a cool old gun, with a big slow round. Works well in brush, and does serious damage when it connects.

Moose is my .300 RUM. Expensive to shoot, kicks like hell, but I have it dialed in and am very excited for my trip this year. Hoping it gets the chance to bite.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My Parker Hale 30-06 should do the job as far as I am concerned. Moose, Deer. coyote, etc etc.......almost everything but Elk. Should I have to good fortune to get drawn this year, I will add Elk to the list..............all I need is a decent scope now.

:recon:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Loaded with a stout 180 grain bullet (Nosler Partition or Accubond), the 30-06 is never a mistake....

The Barnes 165 grain TSX bullet will get the job done as well....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts