Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a little different but I cant see any problems with it, US Army ACU. Its cheap (compared to most others) and has proven itself deer hunting as well as keeping me hidden from geese in the fields near Grosse Isle. The shirt (tunic) and pants are roomy and constructed of durable materials. They're good as an outer layer in the early deer season, keeping me cozy with long johns and polar fleece underneath. Plus you've got no shortage of pockets... Now it's your turn!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've got a huge assortment of camo, mostly purchased based on the fact it was on sale not so much because of the particular camo pattern. Just my opinion but the camo is secondary to stand or blind location, you not moving and being spotted and most importantly playing the wind right. If they can't hear you, see you , or smell you you've got pretty good chances. The camo helps a little. I do like a good snow camo once the leaves are gone and the snow is around however. Oh and like you I like lots of pockets so I get cargo style pants.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ don't know about you but i learned to hunt in blue jeans and sweatshirts :D (a simpler time, a better time), as long as the deer don't pick up on your movement. camo is at the end of the day secondary to smell and a good blind, agreed

·
Banned
216 Posts
BlueBomber666 said:
^ don't know about you but i learned to hunt in blue jeans and sweatshirts :D (a simpler time, a better time), as long as the deer don't pick up on your movement. camo is at the end of the day secondary to smell and a good blind, agreed
Smell is above all in ungulate hunting, they might doubt everything else but never their nose, get a whiff of you and they're history (close quarter hunting especially)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree that scent is far most important but camo is cool to wear.....Predator is my favorite

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
The whole camo thing seems pretty futile when you need to wear orange over it anyway. Whites for 'yotes when there is snow works if you're in snow. I do wash my hunting clothes with that Sportwash with the UV killer though. I believe that movement is first and smell second when it comes to deer detecting you. Noise goes with movement. I had a deer trotting across a field over a hundred yards away one time. Heading directly toward me. Back then you had to wear whites with an orange hat. There was snow. I was crouched in bush along a river bank. I moved a little to get ready and that deer saw that movement and changed direction. I couldn't believe it. This past season I had a forkhorn come up the steep side of a little ridge I was posted on. I had the muzzleloader up and was looking through the scope to try to confirm whether it was a doe or not. That little buck came to within about 10 feet and stared at me for ages trying to figure out what I was. It didn't get my scent. Finally I could no longer hold up the ML and when I dropped it down he jumped off the side of the ridge, ran 20 yards and continued to stop and look at me as he slowly wandered off. I don't think the camo with orange vest helped. He just didn't know what I was standing there. Hate to train them like that :roll: .

·
Banned
216 Posts
Predator (fall gray mostly) until the cold comes, then I switch to this parka and bib combo for the long Nov. sits....with these I don't even know I'm outside and it gets damn cold up there at 18' 19'. Makes all my other very cold weather clothes look obsolete. Very quiet, very warm, but not good for walking or longer walks though, way too hot.

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageid=79&SrchValue=stand+hunter+extreme&x=20&y=3

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mossyoak treestand in the oaks Predator fall grey in the poplars Natural gear snow when the leaves are gone or sitting on the ground in the snow,

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have mostly waterfowl prints but they seem all fairly similiar. I have heard heard that Max4 is a little dark for field hunting, but to each their own.

My grandfather said he used to hunt geese in the field/bullrushes and deer in jeans or heavy pants and a red and black checkered plaid jacket. He would lie down in a field with old cut up tires and cardboard or plywood cutout to look like dekes. Have been told that animals may be smarter nowadays.......hard to say.

·
Registered
101 Posts
clawj said:
I've got a huge assortment of camo, mostly purchased based on the fact it was on sale not so much because of the particular camo pattern. Just my opinion but the camo is secondary to stand or blind location, you not moving and being spotted and most importantly playing the wind right. If they can't hear you, see you , or smell you you've got pretty good chances. The camo helps a little. I do like a good snow camo once the leaves are gone and the snow is around however. Oh and like you I like lots of pockets so I get cargo style pants.
Same boat. I buy when its on sale. Why not when you get it cheap. I have been lucky i always find good deals on MAX-1. I think its ridicules to dump alot of money on just camo gear but at the right price everything that helps a little is nice. :recon:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tomzee said:
I have mostly waterfowl prints but they seem all fairly similiar. I have heard heard that Max4 is a little dark for field hunting, but to each their own.

My grandfather said he used to hunt geese in the field/bullrushes and deer in jeans or heavy pants and a red and black checkered plaid jacket. He would lie down in a field with old cut up tires and cardboard or plywood cutout to look like dekes. Have been told that animals may be smarter nowadays.......hard to say.
Funny, when I was younger I wore the latest and greatest of camo, covered myself in "Doe in Heat", cotton swabs in my boot laces with doe in heat, 35 mm film canisters' filled with cotton swabs and doe in heat strategically place in a 100 yard circle, would have the wind in my favour, freshly broken tree limb in my back pocket, red fox urine for a cover scent on my hat, everything that Peterson's Hunting could possibly teach a young hunter.........................now true storey! The folks I hunted with in the Interlake were cattle farmers. Two of the guys after chores would walk all of 2 minutes from their trucks, stand concealed right beside a solitary 4" poplar, green Hyrdo parka, blaze as per regs, smoke hanging out of their mouths, coughing from years of dust and smoke! Big buck walks out 100 yard.......plop! Almost same story every single year! I am now fifty, I still where my camo just don't go as far as I used to. For birds particularly ducks.....camo is a must! For deer for me, the jury is still out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts