Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into reloading rifle shells mainly for my 243 i have most of the stuff press,tumbler,dies,and tools my question is is there someone who is experienced at reloading who would like to put on a work shop how to reload properly.I do have a book but i still have questions There are probly others that would like to learn as well thank you

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sounds like somthing I'd be interested in too.
I have reloaded, going through the book does make cartrages, but there is more id like to know like how to measure how deep to seat the bullets for my gun, and how to set up to do a neck resize.

·
Registered
339 Posts
From what I read on the fishing side the guys fishing Locport would like to do some '' neck resizing'' they may be interested in lessons.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
The problem with a "seminar" is that as soon as a date and place is set there are a lot of people that want to attend and then as the date approaches many drop out. As well, the person leading it technically assumes some responsibility. Then there is the place and time, etc. I would suggest that for now use the reloading topic to ask questions. As this forum grows you will find it becomes a great source of info. And let's all remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
Don't use the resource of the reloading topic as a shortcut to doing the necessary reading on your own. You should read and then re-read at least two books on reloading and understand them before starting. There are many tips and tricks that you will learn over time that will make things easier and also save you time. So ask away.

·
Registered
653 Posts
What about visual learners?
Sometimes you can explain until your blue in the face, but show a person once and their set.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my question is i follow all the steps everything seems to be going good i seat my heads and with my finger i can push the lead bullet down the neck almost all the way into my case.My cases are once fired from my gunso what am i doing wrong i am thinking its my dies? thanks

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
eldiablo said:
my question is i follow all the steps everything seems to be going good i seat my heads and with my finger i can push the lead bullet down the neck almost all the way into my case.My cases are once fired from my gunso what am i doing wrong i am thinking its my dies? thanks
It could be two things: improperly set die, or wrong diameter bullet.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
eldiablo said:
Looking to get into reloading rifle shells mainly for my 243 i have most of the stuff press,tumbler,dies,and tools my question is is there someone who is experienced at reloading who would like to put on a work shop how to reload properly.I do have a book but i still have questions There are probly others that would like to learn as well thank you
There are some excellent reloading dvd's out there as well.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
eldiablo said:
i think I can answer that - your resizing die is not set properly - it should be touching the shellholder when your press handle is all the way down (which moves the shell holder to touch the bottom of the die) - that should do it!

A common mistake is that people stop the motion when the primer pops out, thinking they are done - but you have to actually compress the brass into the die, which resizes it - the tolerances are so tight that the shell holder must hit the die for the die to do its job

Keep us posted
c

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bullets are right dia so i must have the dies set wrong so do ijust resize the cases or are the garbage now thanks again

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Yup, resize the lot.
I would shoot the primers off first, then full length resize.
Should be good to go after that

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
chrism said:
holy crap Riggs you're fast on the answer! Beat me to it my mere minutes!
Just goes to show ya that great minds think alike. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
First off, are your dies full length dies or neck sizing dies. What type of dies and press? Getting the dies set right as per the instructions is paramount. If your dies are neck sizing dies there is a bit of force involved in the press stroke to get them right. A bullet will just drop right into an unsized case but should be tight in a sized case whether full length or neck resized. You should not be able to push it in easily with your fingers. A trick with Lee neck dies is to size the case, rotate it 180 degrees and then size again. This improves the case concentricity. Another tip here is to check and see if that neck sized case will now chamber. Sometimes you need to bump the shoulder with a full length die after a few firings and sizing sessions with only a neck die. Nature of the beast. But better to check it now rather than after they are loaded and you find out at the range that they will not chamber.
Now if your die is a full length one, the problem is likely the die setting or you are not doing a full press stroke such that the die touches the shell holder (as mentioned). I wouldn't bother shooting off the primers. If you start the press stroke slowly the live primer will be removed and can be used again. Just go easy and take care handling primers. Let us know what you find.

If nobody has objections this thread should be moved to the reloading topic.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I know when i set up my dies (RCBS) The instructions specifically say the shell holder should NOT touch the die. At the top of the stroke it says to adjust the die so it touches the shell holder, then back it off 1/2 turn.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
That's why I mentioned to set the die as per manufacturer's instructions. Some presses are made to be used so that they toggle over on the press stroke. Lee presses don't and therefore the die is set to just touch the shellholder at the bottom of the downstroke. Some seating/crimping dies are set the way you describe so it is important not to confuse them. It is nice to have either locking nuts or quick change bushings for the dies so that once you set them they stay that way if you change them out. The exception would be for seater dies and different bullets.
The objective here is to eliminate the simple things like bullets (wrong diameter), die setting and proper press operation. I am curious to see what the OP finds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts