Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've always hunted ducks in the morning in the marsh but tomorrow I only have time for an evening hunt.
My question is what's the best time for evening marsh hunts? What time are the most birds moving, coming back to the water?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Allan

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mornings are usually better but the last hour of daylight can be very good. On an average evening a lot of the mallards and pintails will leave the field and get to the water just before dark which is similar to when (if) they come back after their morning feed. Teal like to fly just before dark too. For this reason, it is one of my favorite times to hunt.
Also, geese seem to be susceptible and not as wary in mid afternoon or I blow a better goose call in the mid afternoon.

If i find an area that northern mallards are using late in the season, I prefer to hunt evenings though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've hunted evenings twice this year and both times have had limits before what would even be considered prime time. The action isn't hot and heavy like it can be in the morning but you can definitely get lots of shooting, especially if the weather is a little nasty.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love the evening hunts!! dont get me wrong i love morning hunts and the numbers are always a bit better but you are always so tired and cold. My dad and i will head out for a grouse hunt in the morning and once we get back we will head out in the duck boat. a grreat combo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts