Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm relatively new to the forum but it's been awesome so far!

I just recently started working on purchasing a piece of property in between the R.M of Eriksdale and the Manitoba Narrows and I was wondering if anyone had experience hunting up there?

We usually hunt in Macgregor area, this year my younger brother (22) and I (24) decided we would like our own land to hunt so we can avoid all the poachers out there.

Plus it's nice to know where you're going every year.

So the questions are has anyone been up there and how's the hunting? (Whitetail, Elk, Birds, Yotes, wolves)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: Erikson Land

I have a 1/4 section up by Eriksdale.Most of the land is poplar,spruce,and usually every quarter has a chunk of swamp on it.
I have seen all game animals on my property Deer,bear,moose and elk.The deer population is holding its own the bear,elk and moose do make an appearance every now and then.The elk are pretty much in pockets with smaller herds roaming around.Coyotes we hear them but seldom see them and have yet to encounter a wolf in the 5 years I have owned the property.

Owning your own property is a great investment especially at your age.You get to monitor your land set game limits,cut trails erect tree stands ect.

To edit your post click the edit button and retype the title.

·
Registered
396 Posts

As far as deer size the bodies are huge the biggest I have taken up there is a 125 class 4x4 I have seen bigger but they are still running.My neighbor shot a buck a couple years ago that unofficially scored 194.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Are you looking at the Kijiji land for $?????? I have seen land up the as cheap as $10,500 a quarter up to around $60,000 for a quarter.If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the replies so far, it is the one on kijiji and I'm super exceited.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Cool I hope you get it.Lawyer fees will probably run you $700-$1000 if buying private.Taxes for virgin land (no buildings) will run you around $300 for the 1/4.Pick up a cheap travel trailer or slide in camper put it down on the property and you will be set.

Have you been up there to check out the land?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Talked to a lawyer and they said it would be around 50 bucks for private sale to read over the offer to purchase. The land transfer tax is almost nothing. The yearly taxes are 250 and we were thinking of building a small shack on the land.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let me know if you buy Justin, im not going to be hunting muzzle this year since ill be up north for both weeks. But thinking about bbuying a trailer and hunting a week up in by fisher branch.

·
Registered
665 Posts
check it out well, before you buy. remember, this is a dry year, so take into account low areas that might be really wet on normal years.

I've hunted that area for 15 years, and saw some nice looking stands of Hay last fall, that have typically been underwater.

Good luck

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was up in Eriksdale yesterday.Precip is down,it could dry up a bit more (still sinking in the peat moss in the swamps).I went for a quad ride and alot of mature bush is now dead having been submerged in water for the last 4 years which is also a good indicator of how wet a property really gets during the wet years.Now is a great time to look while the leaves are still on the trees.
A real bad spot has been just north of the clematis wma around the s curve on hwy 17.The swamp is pretty much a lake now killing alot of mature trees and inching its way a little closer each time I go up there to the poor guys house on the west side.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems like good land. All bush with alfalfa fields on three sides. Looked slightly low but also surrounded by nice field so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
665 Posts
ah... that could be why I couldn't find it.

hopefully someone else didn't buy it out from under you!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We are in constant contact with the sellers. Just want to cross our t's and dot our i's before we buy. We are trying to get a hold of the planning office to see if we can build a small shack on the land but i'm getting no answer when I call. can't make the offer until we know that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
justin said:
We are in constant contact with the sellers. Just want to cross our t's and dot our i's before we buy. We are trying to get a hold of the planning office to see if we can build a small shack on the land but i'm getting no answer when I call. can't make the offer until we know that.
It may be gone by then.When we picked up our property there was 1 person who had first dibs (we were 2nd on the list)and then 7 people behind us wanting to buy the property.We worked fast with the banks and "money talked".

Have you been up there to check out the property????? alot of times went guys selling their property are saying quad or 4x4 accessible its pretty much only in the winter months.I know some guys around me have been hauling out a canoe to get to their property as the trail that once leaded in is still under water and more like a bog now as I found out with my quad.

Your best bet is to get the property first....drop a cheap trailer travel or slide in on a couple pallets and concentrate on prepping the property for the up and coming hunting season.......Good Luck I hope it all works in your favor!!!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts