Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took this one this year in rifle. The first weekof the season we saw no animals. We saw sign and put on alot of miles trying to locate them. Had to work second week of season so no hunting. Went out Tues. afternoon of third week. Only saw one set of fresh tracks on all the trails. Did not look promising. Set up on the west edge of a field. Dad set up a little south of me. Wind coming out of the west. Just over a hour later I heard a bit of bush crash to the north of me as I was glassing some whitetails to the south. I slowly turned as it was too much noise for another whitetail. There he was at about 400 yards. Raised my rifle and steadied myself. He just kept walking and eating. I chirped with my mouth but he did not stop. When he was at about 300 yards I couldn't wait any longer as he had no intrest in coming my way and took my shot. I was pretty sure it was a good shot but he didn't seem to break stride just walking to the bush, I rechambered and just as he was almost in the bush he stopped and looked back, I sent another one. A few seconds later I heard a crash in the bush. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst I waited for dad to come over and to give the elk some time. Dad said he heard both shots and both thumps and was sure I got him. I was positive on where he went into the bush. We carefully walked over to the bush where we could see the trail he went in on. We started to scour the entrance for any trace of blood or good tracks....nothing. Well good thing I got good boots on because now the search begins I thought. Just then I looked up and there he was piled up 10 yards in the bush. Both shots in the boiler room 2 inches apart!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Wonderful job! Heavy beams on that one, eh?

What caliber and bullet did you use?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Riggs said:
Wonderful job! Heavy beams on that one, eh?

What caliber and bullet did you use?

Yep...have not put a proper tape on him yeat but with the metal tape in the truck I measured 8" around

Savage model 111 chambered in 30-06 with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k_southman said:
Very nice. What area were u hunting?
GHA 20 on private property. We searched ALOT of the crown land in the area. There are elk there, just not big numbers.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Nice animal..........congratulations. I hope to get drawn next year and have some private property lined up as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
shane019 said:
What part of area 20 did you harvest? Anywhere I pointed out to you?

Thanks, Shane

We hunted pretty much all of Peonan Point. Including some of the spots you pointed out...THANKS! There was a little bit of sign in almost all spots we were. Some old, some newer, but we could tell there were not very many animals around. And could not pattern them with such little sign and a big area. The bush on the WMA on the point is thick! We never heard anything....I believe everyone when they say they are call shy in this area. We never ventured north of 328 into the Basket Lake area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts