Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has looked into or went on an elk hunt in Alberta?
I was drawn this year for area 18 archery(no luck :( ) and am not sure when I will get a chance again with the 10 point draw system. I was and am super pumped and want to do more elk hunting in the next few years. Hearing a bull bugle back when you are out hunting is like no other experience IMO.

Have you done a DIY hunt or gone through an outfitter? Just looking for what other guys have done to curb the elk fever!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have thought about Alberta myself from time to time...never gone though. There are some area's in MB that you can get drawn almost every year for elk archery. 13 and 13a are not bad, I have had some luck there during the archery season. I have not hunted elk there for sometime...but they are still there. If you want to know more feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
waterhen81 said:
Just wondering if anyone else has looked into or went on an elk hunt in Alberta?
I was drawn this year for area 18 archery(no luck :( ) and am not sure when I will get a chance again with the 10 point draw system. I was and am super pumped and want to do more elk hunting in the next few years. Hearing a bull bugle back when you are out hunting is like no other experience IMO.

Have you done a DIY hunt or gone through an outfitter? Just looking for what other guys have done to curb the elk fever!!!

I have to look again but I thought when I l last looked you could not do DIY hunts...you needed a hunter host or an outfitter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will have to look into the Alberta thing a bit more then. Finding a host and prepping for a DIY may not be as easy as I was hoping for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have hunted the archery draw season in the 18 region but gave up. You will get drawen almost every year you put in cause its a hard hunt. I quit cause it was just to dangerous! Dressed in full camo, walking and stalking, calling when the metis and natives are out there with high powered rifles, just seemed like an accident waiting to happen! So i gave up on that season, really to bad cause i love to be out that time of the year. :iams:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am up for priority one next year......I have my permissions lined up and am ready to go. If I'm not sucessful in Mb, its off to Alberta I go............

Never shot an Elk yet, but its definitely on my hunting bucket list.......!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I was hunting in the RIding Mountain (east side) area this fall I talked to several older people in the area and they said it is not worthy to apply for an elk draw as there are very few elk around. They said 30years ago there was lots but then the park wildlife people began to get worried about CWD and had several hunts to reduce the herd. They also said they did the same for deer and even gave farmers in the area ten tags for deer and paid them $100 for each tag return.
I have hunted the area for ten years and have only saw two elk tracks. I purchased a piece of land one mile from the park boundary and have gotten to know a lot of the farmer around there and am interested in any history anybody would have on this story.
I have also noticed that there are very few outfitters left on the east side of the park for both elk and deer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts