Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody gone up to Elbow Lake? I was thinking about heading up there this summer for a few days and any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
146 Posts
My buddy has gone into elbow a few times...great walleye fishing! You probably won't be dissapointed if ya go in there. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was there last year and camped on one of the islands past the elbow midway down the lake. When you first get in, the first 3 or 4 sites on the right-hand side were closed last summer due to recent bear activity. Not surprising really as there are some real pigs that manage to get up into Elbow. I just don't understand how people will leave cans, fish guts, 1/2 empty bait containers, and cut down green saplings for firewood......stuff won't even burn properly.

The lake itself is pretty nice but can get windy due it's east-west position. We usually go further into MacGregor or Snowshow. Some decent fishing as well. Good luck if you go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have camped many Times in MacGregor go about 5-10 minutes (paddle) past the falls and camp on a Island on your right as you are paddling east. It is quite sheltered and a perfect location ( more difiicult for yogi and boo boo to visit) :fish2: . camping at the falls at each end is nice, but has seen bear activity at times.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the imput guys! :D
Yeah, some peoples lack of respect for the earth and others safety baffles me :x
I have been canoeing for a few years now; the Assiniboine in the western half of the province, a bit in the Whiteshell and a few lakes out in Alberta. A couple of my buddies are novices to canoeing so I hoped that the Elbow/Bird route wasn't too hard for the group, myself not having done it before. About how long would it take for 4 goofs :lol: in a couple of canoes to do the Elbow route and back to Tulabi Falls realistically?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is also a nice big camping spot right at the elbow on your right (not the island) as you go upstream. 3 pretty good options on elbow...I would shoot for the island spot right just past the elbow if bears have been a problem though !

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Elbow is a nice lake, early June should be prime there this year. Should be about a half day in depending on how many trips you need to make on the portages. Carry out what you bring in. I once did a trip to McGregor and back with a fellow who had the contract to clean up the camp sites. We had a 17' canoe with a kicker. Dawn to crossing Tulabi in the dark coming out in early July. We had so many bags of trash in the canoe we could not really fish a few of the pools on the way out. That was almost 20 years ago and I doubt they contract that out anymore. That island on McGregor is a great place to camp but there are good sites on elbow too. If the water in the system is fairly high the pool below the first portage into Mcgregor from Elbow can be productive to fish.

·
Registered
22 Posts
robm said:
There is also a nice big camping spot right at the elbow on your right (not the island) as you go upstream.
I brought students up to that site in late May. Fantastic site. The island had a fair bit of garbage and blow down. Most of the sites had new toilets... but they had not been set up yet. I am sure they have been now though? Anybody seen the sites lately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts