Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys just wondering can you hunt ducks on any of the shoal lakes without a boat or canoe? and if so which lake would be the best to hunt like this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
One of my favourite hunts. Tons of possibility. Dabblers, divers, etc. everything and anything. Not sure about shore hunting. Probably take some scouting and then finding a decent penninsula or dry spot to wade out and setup on. Lots of potential to setup permanent blinds and hunt. Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hunting the Shoals without a boat is really tough.
Pretty much the entire West side is off limits due to the refuge.
Anywhere else, the lake edge is now way beyond what used to be crown land and there aren't many spots where you can easily access the shore without having to travel a long way across private land. So you would first need to get permission.
Also due to the flooding, the edge of the water in many areas is actually in what used to be bush. On the edge of that bush is then a wall of cattails in water that you'd have to slog though to get to any open water to set up.
Bottom line, decent spots to hunt from shore are tough to find.
Much easier with some sort of boat.

I believe hunting Grants lake limits you to pass shooting from the designated posts. You aren't actually hunting the water.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Grants can be good but you gotta have a field to shoot them in, they get smart quick and will pass those post so high it'd be tough with a rifle!!! Check out lake francis, it can be stellar late in the year, fairly easy access... Or follow some birds off the fields and see where the head, they don't always head back to the lake for a midday drink, they will hit the smaller sloughs and dugouts... If you can get permission for one of them your laughing, sit back relax and wait, they'll show up!!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There are but there is some wicked field hunting surrounding the lake, way better than the posts!!! Most of the local landowners are good guys and you can grab a map of the whole RM in rosser i think for ten bucks!!! Most of the shoal lake birds will head south into the Marquette area and lots of the grants lake ducks will head west towards Marquette, If you get in the right place at the right time it can be phenomenal.... Unless your into sky blasting I wouldn't sit the posts, waste of time and shells IMO...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts