Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Bowhunting, and am looking for some feedback on this topic.
I have been seeing this large, very tasty looking Doe with her Fawn on multiple trail cam pics during the pre-season scouting.
Now that the season is open, I have been seeing lots of this pair. She is coming up to within 10 yards of one of our sets, but I haven't taken a shot yet, because her Fawn is always bouncing around behind her.
I am not sure how to handle this situation as I am concerned that it is too early for this Fawn to go alone, on the other hand, she sure looks tasty. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
IMHO, take the troll and hit the road.

And if in the very, very remotest chance your serious, NO, no one who enjoys hunting would take that shot.

·
Registered
530 Posts
GUYS ARE GOING TO HIT THE ROOF BUT
If you really need meat for the freezer kill the fawn and leave the mother alone

·
Registered
59 Posts
BubbaFett - I can't imagine you are serious. Don’t take the shot! Ethical hunting is about more then what the rules say you can do.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's a personal preference. I would never judge one for taking that doe or fawn. Its legal and they both would be tasty. Mind you, with only one tag available in most areas, I'd avoid the fawn, unless you only have a need for 20 lbs of veal for the winter.

I wish more hunters would take does. Some areas I've hunted, the buck/doe ratio is way outta wack. 15 does/fawns seen for every buck. In my experiences, less does spotted, makes for a far better buck hunt. They respond to calling more and are not as nocturnal. Last year was a perfect example. Yes, I did see far fewer deer, but my buck hunting was far more exciting. Called in plenty of bucks. Hoping for the same this year. But in the end, if I still have my tag available late in November, I will take home a deer of any shape or size for the freezer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I posted this question because I truly have not ran into this before, and I was serious in asking this question. This wasn't some sort of "trolling" attempt.
I am aware that there is an ethical issue here, and I was seeking advice as to how this could be dealt with. I have been lurking on this forum for a bit, and have learned a few things from reading the posts, so I figured posting would help me. I should have stated in my original post that I am not planning on taking the Fawn. I am interested in getting meat for the freezer, and with the 1 tag per hunter this year, I hope to achieve this with a nice, big Doe. Thank You for the advice so far.
:archery:

·
Registered
557 Posts
This won't be popular but I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. The fawn will be fine. As for the taking a breeder out of The mix argument how about shooting the fawn then taking that deer out of the equation, or shooting a buck and taking that breeder and those genetics out of the mix. Any deer you shoot eliminates a potential breeder or genetics but what can you do not shoot anything? I hardly see any bucks around but i see tons of does and fawns so should I still shoot a rare buck or should I take a doe that there is no shortage of? I hunt for meat, that doe just happens to be big juicy tasty legal meat, not much of a decision for me.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If you think she will still be hanging around the area (which she more than likely will be) in a few more weeks she is going to kick that fawn off anyway, be a perfect time to harvest her... I'm all for the harvest of does, that said I don't think I could drop the hammer on one that had a fawn with it this early... I don't think that taking her now would make or break the fawns life though, so ultimately its your call...

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
sled-in said:
IMHO, take the troll and hit the road.

And if in the very, very remotest chance your serious, NO, no one who enjoys hunting would take that shot.
Absolutely nothing at all wrong with the question. It's a very valid one. First of all, he said that he's new to bow hunting....could possibly be new to hunting, period. As any new hunter, he's reaching out to those with experience to help him out. That's one of the ways we grow, and develop as hunters. Thank you to those who presented reasons to take or not take it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
BubbaFett said:
I am new to Bowhunting, and am looking for some feedback on this topic.
I have been seeing this large, very tasty looking Doe with her Fawn on multiple trail cam pics during the pre-season scouting.
Now that the season is open, I have been seeing lots of this pair. She is coming up to within 10 yards of one of our sets, but I haven't taken a shot yet, because her Fawn is always bouncing around behind her.
I am not sure how to handle this situation as I am concerned that it is too early for this Fawn to go alone, on the other hand, she sure looks tasty. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
BubbaFett...first of all, :welcome: I'd like to welcome you to MHF. As a novice bowhunter, It's good to see that you don't consider yourself a know-it-all, and are willing to seek the advice and help of those more experienced. Good luck throughout the season, and, if you're successful, don't foget... :pictures:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Okay sorry about the troll thing, first post about shooting does does make a person think about where a person is comming from........

Early September in a year that you can take only one deer, I'd wait, hunting isn't just about shooting something. As far as a fawn goes, I've seen them with spots in archery season, if that's the case pass.
Legal isn't always ethical, I've shot too many young deer, but with the population down this year my deer needs horns

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
sled-in said:
Okay sorry about the troll thing, first post about shooting does does make a person think about where a person is comming from........

Early September in a year that you can take only one deer, I'd wait, hunting isn't just about shooting something. As far as a fawn goes, I've seen them with spots in archery season, if that's the case pass.
Legal isn't always ethical, I've shot too many young deer, but with the population down this year my deer needs horns
All is well. You posted some good things to consider...expecially in a down year, population wise. When I need to fill my freezer with venison, I go down to Maryland, where the deer population has just exploded, in part because of all the private land, and general anti-hunting sentiment. In some areas it's possible to take up to 7 deer a year. Down there, if it's brown, it's down because the farmers need to protect their crops. It's not unusual to visit a pasture or field in the late evening and see 150 - 200 deer trickleing out of the woods.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe the choice is yours,everyone has different opinions on what is right or ethical but in the end its your call.When I first started hunting (rifle) any deer was food for the freezer after hunting for 15 years I Preferred bucks or a dry doe,Still got the odd lone yearling I thought was a lone doe till I walked up to it.Now after hunting close to 30 years I have passed up all does and fawns and only take a buck or dry doe.
I think it also depends if your hunting private or public land...On public land you may pass up the doe but the next guy on the next cutline may take it.On private you can kind of manage your herd (while the deer remain on your property)and pick and choose what you want to shoot or want to let walk.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Theres a few things you need to consider. If you take the doe can you handle hearing the fawn bawling for its mother a short distance away while you clean it. As for cleaning it know that she will be full of milk still, not everyone is ok with that. It is all personal preference. Last week i had a pic of a fawn with spots so theres a few late ones that are still dependant on mamma

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dry mature doe or buck only for me. Fawn with mama deserve a chance in my mind as they are working through survival of their species. Who knows that fawn might grow to be a nice animal for future seasons!

·
Registered
159 Posts
When it comes to a doe with a fawn, I would never take either one at this time in the hunting season. After the doe has kicked off the fawn (usually by Nov.) nature is saying that it is time for the fawn to fend for itself. In the end, I guess that it all depends on how badly you need to have something in the freezer....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts