Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

Which do you use?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether it's deer, bear, coyote, etc... Which do you primarily use, and what type?

I use a ladder stand. I have a small blind to use if I decide to sit in a new spot for a bit, but mostly I like to set up the ladder stand a couple days before hunting. It's easy to climb up and down and very comfortable. It's less work to set up than the heavy ones we've hauled up trees, cranking in tree pegs all the way up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I mostly archery hunt and primarily tree stand hunt, I hunt multiple properties and me and my partner have probably 40 stands set up year round so the deer are used to them. I do use ground blinds in certain winds on certain properties but the tree stand is so nice seeing things coming. And if I do opt for a blind I make the blind out of branches and grass etc that is on the property, that way it is as natural as possible, even though I do have a store bought blind at home I think using natural materials is a better option. As a side note years ago I fell out of a tree stand and still feel the effects of the injury to this day and I'm sure the rest of my life so wear your harness! Elk hunting on the other hand is all day walking and torture !!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would say I use stands mostly but i also use blinds. I like to set up a series of stands and blinds and go from stand to stand or blind as the day goes.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I guess certain types of bush you can't see through from up there, while a blind can get you on a shooting lane. My ladder is 17' high I was thinking about making a few extra steps for it. It should still be sturdy the way it gets strapped down.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My 22'er has a narrower seat and has a double rail ladder so its alot stronger stand than my 16' double wide. Both were bought at menards they are cheap think 120 for the big one 100 for small one. I picked up a cheap ground blind there for 35 bucks too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like to hunt outta treestands and blinds, but i'm like clawj, i like to hunt outta natural blinds. On my property i have probably close to 15 stands, both ladder and hang-ons, set up, with another 20+ trees ready to hang stands. Aswell as afew ground blinds. This year i'm gonna try hunting outta my layout goose blind for deer. Got a good alfalfa field that the deer are coming into, but crossing from another property and not coming close to the bush that we hunt. Gonna put the layout blinds out in the field and camo them good with alfalfa and get in them early, see if this works for us. :D

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
As I got older, I developed a fear of heights, so now I only use natural ground blinds. :oops:

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Dog House is my home away from everything! But in the picture I saw of the fire in Badger last week, the red firetruck was parked on MY ridge, everything else was Black :cry:

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I use ladder stands but really set them up intermittently depending on the scouting. I do not care for ground blinds but then I am mostly in or on the edge of bush so it is generally not too hard to hide. This year I added a trail cam to the scouting arsenal. Hopefully that will help with some stand placement.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If i'm going to sit in a stand, I really like the ladder stand. Nice sense of security with the arm and rifle rest. The ground blinds are nice especially during periods of rain or cold. And they also have their place when there are no tree's to set up in, or when bringing the youngsters out. They can fidget more or even curl up on the ground for a snooze.

One good trick is to set up a couple of stands a 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart. Pick your stand for your hunt according to the wind of the day, then after sitting for awhile without any action or you get cold or restless, you can get down and still hunt your way to your second stand, face into the wind. No luck, climb up and have a sit in your 2nd stand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts