Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what kinda of food you take hunting?

Over the years, my eating while hunt has some what changed alot! From camping to day trips. The old days, of a ring, loaf of rye and brick of cheese, on the dash of the truck. To a more refined meau.

I have been converted to full meal deal now, I have two dehydrators, and two foodsavers, but one is dying,lol. (from over use).

All the meals, are premade, and sealed and frozzen. We can boil, micro, or open and wrap in foil and put on a open fire. This is done way in advance and saves money and time! And gives us more hunting time.

Here is just a small list of things that I have done, I am sure I have missed some of the test items, but we go with the favorites.

Chilli
Stew
Roast Beef in gravey
Breakfast wraps
Blue berry pancakes
French toast
Breakfast sausages
Spagitti/meatballs
Layered laz
Baby back bbq ribs
All kinds of fried rice
Perogies boiled and then pan fried with onions
Chicken parm in sauce
Breaded pork chops
Scalops potato
Ham steaks
Grilled burgers patties
Real sliced roast beef and pork for samwhiches
Smokies,and hot dogs done in advance

I am sure I missing a few or the years, but this are time test and ture. Some are trickie to do in advance, but will worth it in the long run. These all re-heat very fast if you do it right. Clean up is snap! And back hunting! My next test is going to be fried boiled cabage in oil with a nice ring. Please give me more test idea's

Happy hunting and good eating!
P.s. I do hunt harder when hungry,lol.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Jesus I gotta start hunting with either of you, both options sound good. Either a gourmet meal or a wife that makes a meal, tough choice. If im away from home for a week I like to eat good, steak/burgers/pasta/pork chops/etc for suppers. If its day trips it's just granola bars, sandwiches( made by me not my wife :cry: ),trail mix, candy, etc.
Or if there is a small town restaurant nearby they are usually delicious, and easy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good one Clawj. You just put down that stick and string and I'm a go. When I hunt out of the cottage, I have to make my own lunch when the pre made ones (by my wife run out). So times can be hard. I like balony sanwiches, just I have learned not to add the cheese until you eat it. Otherwise it gets gummy. With that coffee,coke, pieces of cheese, sausage, small choclate bars etc. I have it split in two, some in my pack, some in truck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
At the cottage mostly pre made stuff, stews, chilli, frozen pizza, add hot water or microwave able type meals. If I have had a good day, I may have one rye and coke, generally no more. I am by myself and I have to get up in the morning. I am there to hunt, not drink. But if I get a nice buck or any moose and my season is over and no other tags need filling, I can relax and maybe have three. I know very sad compared to some, but that's my thing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If not near our camp in the middle of nowhere for lunch,I'll have salami,sprouts and thick cut cheese on Rye for mid day sandwhich....bag full of trail mix(mixed with dry fruit), choclate bar,and more fruit. Night time in the tent we eat well, long prepared meals(heck it's dark at 5,so all evening to prepare something nice)...usually steaks,wicked chili,stews,stir-fys,first Monday is always fresh liver n onions....a few cocktails,and supper usually around 8-9ish,then off to lala land till 05:30,and we start all over,usually hot cereal n toast for breaky before we head off.
Oh,and if I'm off on a day trip from home, my wife(some peoples mommy) does NOT make my lunch :).

·
Registered
137 Posts
hamburger soup,just an awsome lunch/supper. anything that is just re-heat in a pot , stew,chilli, the one big meal is steak and shrimp....mmmm hungry now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ldb pikester said:
My wife makes me a lunch in the morning ,when I hunt from home. So I eat it and shut the hell up.
.........and god promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then he made the world round..........and laughed and laughed and laughed.

I take pb&j,ham sandwiches,and caned soup or somthing like that for the field and a Colman stove,then for dinner it big ,filling ,and delish a drink o2 then bed ,my wife doesn't make me notin ,she does stay with the kids tho and doesn't usually complain

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes but I am worth it......Or at least that is what I keep telling her, while she is up at 5 am making my breakfast and my lunch for the day......Sorry guys I have to go. She just got back with the kids and now has my late night snack and coffee ready. See You! I will let you in on a little secret, to get women to do this you need one of two things. You either need lots of money or lots of well you know. And I am not wealthy.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is such a good thread. I walk alot when I hunt deer (As crazy as that sounds) So i eat like a pig to recover calories. I usually eat a big breakfast of usually bacon+eggs etc. Or if nobody feels like making anything I eat some kind of fruit, a few peices of toast and some cherios. IN the bush, I like eating manderin oranges because they are usually in season and taste good cold. My big thing with eating on the trail is being quiet too, alot of things like prewrapped granola bars and stuff are noisy to open and get worse in the cold so I usually unwrap that kind of thing before I get my feet on the ground. I usually keep my food in another pouch of my pack because a few years ago my bottle of synthetic etrus leaked all over my bag so no food for me that day. In my opinion best snack when hunting: Trail mix.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Breakfast: 3 pancakes, 4 eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 2 slices of buttered toast, orange juice, and hot cocoa.

Lunch: 4 PB & J sandwiches, and 2 Hershey Bars.

Supper: High carbs, high protein...pasta with meat sauce, or chili, or a thick meaty lasagna.

Snacks: Three Muskateers bars, or trail mix with M&Ms added.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts