Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some opinions on deer feeding & sleeping patterns. When they come out at evening to feed in field do they spend the whole nite there & then go into bush to sleep. Or do they eat a while & then go into bush & come back later? I have a blind set up where i cannot get into it without walking on edge of open field. I,m thinking if i wanted to sneak in before sunrise i would scare away any deer in field.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a similar problem with a stand I have been hunting for the past 15 years. My experience has been that if you get into your stand 60-90 min before daylight you will spook very few animals. Animals will move away from you, but as long as you are walking into the wind you won't spook them off the field as they can't see or smell you that well. The ones you do spook move off then typically come back before daylight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe they often feed for a while, then bed either at the edge of the field or just inside the bush for a bit, then feed again at first light. It is an issue getting in and out, but if you go in when it is still really dark, have a grunt tube with you and if you scare something up give a quiet grunt as soon as the sound of them crashing away stops, and as long as they haven't smelled you they might relax and think you were another deer (walking real loudly on two feet). They may eventually sneak back to see what made the noise as they are often very curious if they haven't identified you by scent.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Get into your stand at least an hour before any sign of light, if there are deer on the field at that time they will probably run off but should return a while later once things have calmed down. Just make sure they don't smell you then you can almost count on them not returning so not smelling like a human would be a beneficial thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm usually in my blinds a solid hour and a half before day light , and on a morning hunt I've never noticed that I've scared anything up. But I try my for all I'm worth to be quiet enough that the only thing I hear from me is my pulse

·
Registered
339 Posts
Every situation is different. Without seeing it I can not be sure. In some areas to cover fields is useless, why get to the blind one hour or more early only to spook them or have veichles drive by just to spook everthing away just before legal light. Young does and fawms may come out during the day for a quick snack, early in the season or when the pressure is light. Many times I have seen bucks come out of a bush following a scent trail. Many times for just a few seconds. In some areas deer will go back into smaller bushes off fields but will not spend the day there. They may wait to sneak to a bigger bush which is safer for them. Or get to your blind by going the long way around using cover. Or set up closer to bedding areas or travel routes. Many options, the trick is picking the right one and a little bit, or a lot of luck. Sometimes lady luck shines on you even when you do everything wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts