Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on the type of call/s that are being used with reasonable sucess. I would like to get a call that is available at a local supplier - Cabella's - Wholesale Sports or Canadian Tire.....or anywhere else you could recommend locally.

My animal of choice this year is a trophy buck.

thanks......

·
Registered
557 Posts
Grab a buck grunt, doe "can", and rattling antlers( real ones if you can get some). Don't call like crazy.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clawj said:
Grab a buck grunt, doe "can", and rattling antlers( real ones if you can get some). Don't call like crazy.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JetsOrBust said:
I started a thread like this a while back. I didn't know anything really about calls, got a lot of tips on what to buy and how to use them from people. Check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3533&view=unread#unread

Thanks. I just reviewed that thread and there is enough info. for me to make a choice. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
339 Posts
While I have called in some deer using calls over the years. For me the best deer call is no call at all. If you know the area, and know where the deer cross, and you use the wind, and are hidden, why would you want to give yourself away. I have shot deer though calling them in and use my own voice to stop them for a shot. I do not know what make or model of calls though. There is a certain romance that some find addictive in calling in deer.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Calling doesn't work all the time but I have called in deer with a grunt and snort wheeze but timing has to be right with all of that. But calling can also be dangerous, so if there is a buck around and you are calling and if he is interested then he probably will go down wind of you to check things out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't call much either. Prefer to sit quiet and wait on trails(mostly hunt Archery).
I usually call when I can see the deer to get thier reaction. I have to say I've scared off as many as I've called in or just been ingnored.

Grunt tube and doe bleat are all that I've tried.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dune said:
I don't call much either. Prefer to sit quiet and wait on trails(mostly hunt Archery).
I usually call when I can see the deer to get thier reaction. I have to say I've scared off as many as I've called in or just been ingnored.

Grunt tube and doe bleat are all that I've tried.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roose said:
Calling doesn't work all the time but I have called in deer with a grunt and snort wheeze but timing has to be right with all of that. But calling can also be dangerous, so if there is a buck around and you are calling and if he is interested then he probably will go down wind of you to check things out.
I am not to clear on the "dangerous" aspect of your reply, but thanks just the same !!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I actually think the best reason to use a call is to give you something to do, in areas that your not sure of its hard to sit and wait, but you sit and blow a call every half hour you can sit way longer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not new to hunting, but I am new to archery hunting. Needless to say, with a rifle in my hand, I never used calls or rattled. Now that I hunting with a bow, I thought I'd try the call. I also tried a rattling bag.
Sitting in my blind for 2 hours, I thought I'd let out a grunt. Got one curious doe come out of the woods. She blew once or twice and leisurely walked back into the bush. Never saw another deer that night.

Last weekend I had 4 does about 30 yards from my blind. I tried "tinkling" the rattle bag. They all bolted as if I had set off a bomb. Half an hour later, I called......then again in another 30 minutes.....nuthin'!!

The following day, I had 2 does 10 yards from my blind. Out of thin air, a buck shows up, hot after the one doe. I didn't get a shot off, but I tried calling in hopes of interesting him in "another" doe. Nuthin'!!

As far as I'm concerned, from now on, I will be content to sit still and quiet, as I have been up until the first doe I told you about. Each time I've been out, I have seen no less than 12 deer.....most times within 10 yards of my blind......and all I was doing was sitting very quietly.

I should mention that, along with sitting quiet, I also make damn sure my scent is covered. Scent seems to be the biggest give away in my experience so far.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does will typically bolt from rattling especially at 30 yards. They can pinpoint where the noise is coming from and see there was no bucks there. Rattling and grunting are more meant to call bucks in and definitely doesn't work everytime you call! But its pretty cool turning a buck your way with a call when things work out!

·
Registered
146 Posts
highlandglen guide said:
Does will typically bolt from rattling especially at 30 yards. They can pinpoint where the noise is coming from and see there was no bucks there. Rattling and grunting are more meant to call bucks in and definitely doesn't work every time you call! But its pretty cool turning a buck your way with a call when things work out!
Yeah, I bet that would be cool to witness. Maybe I'll try that again and see if I can draw out a brute....lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Called in 4 deer in one spot 2 years ago, and one in another a while later. Never got good looks a 3 of them, other one I saw no antlers. Later I called in a bambi, a couple hundred yards away. Last year I tried calling in the same spot I got the 4 deer in, I had one come in about 35 yds off, but could not see much of him but fur, and another one came in from a different direction and chased the first one off! Sucks, but sure had my heart beating,lol. It does work, and it is fun to watch when it does, I sometimes shake a near by brush at the same time as calling, and watched a young 2x2 come in looking for a fight, head held high like he owned the place and was about to tear someone a new one! I had to try darned hard not to laugh out loud at this obnoxious little guy, he left and came back about 5 min. later again, scooping the place out. I will never forget it. I have called most of my deer in muzzle loader season, I have not had much luck in high power. I do all of my hunting on the ground.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes generally you call in the young and the stupid, but in doing so how many times did you give your position away to a much larger or smarter animal that went down wind of you, and one that you never say or heard.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You are right ldb pikester, I am probably giving my spot away to the smart big ones, but funny thing is, 3 of the 6 deer I called in that area in the last 2 years came upwind of me, but they all started from the downwind side. I could not get a shot off at those, as I was set up to watch the downwind area of me. I still can't figure out why they did that. Maybe the trail was easier? Or, like you said, young and dumb, and I know one of them for sure had no rack on it. The other 3 were downwind, but too far off to be in my scent stream. I could hear the one trotting up the whole way, downwind of me at first, then coming up my left side, and coming to a trail behind me, which is upwind. He was too far behind my back, and the body size was alright from what I could see, but I did not see antlers on it before he bolted.
The Big bucks are probably laughing every time they hear me call. Think I have more experimenting to do this next 2 weeks,lol.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Tailhunter said:
, I have not had much luck in high power.
The more pressure put on the deer the less responsive they are to calling... Most areas, even private land usually feels the effects of rifle season...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tail hunter I like your reply. The thing is nothing works all the time and nothing is bad all the time. Sometimes when we do everything wrong and good things happen and we think that we were on the right path but we were not. So many factors, phase of rut, buck to doe ratio, area, have the deer been groomed by other hunters calling, is the buck already tending a doe,(generally no self respecting buck, tending a doe in heat, is going to come to a grunt) etc. etc. etc.. But whatever works. Sometimes it seems we have nothing to lose and give it a try. I have done this as well, and have shot deer because of it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When deer are just not moving I like to use it. Last year in bow season legal time was almost out, so I called a bit, and got a nice young 4x4 15 yds away from me, pawing the ground and touching the branch above. It was awesome, and he made some great steaks to,lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts