Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is a good question, seen a whole whack of hunting videos where people have had sucess never given them a go myself, got enough stuff to drag into the bush lol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They work sometimes, depends on the time of season and situation. I had bucks cruising past my stand in early november, no amount of calling would get them to come close. Got down, went to the cabin, got an old 3D target, plunked it out infront of me...within 15 minutes i saw another buck walking by outta bow range, one doe bleat and he looked over and was on his way. i have not had luck with a buck decoy yet...but planning on using it more this year.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Fish_Killer said:
They work sometimes, depends on the time of season and situation. I had bucks cruising past my stand in early november, no amount of calling would get them to come close. Got down, went to the cabin, got an old 3D target, plunked it out infront of me...within 15 minutes i saw another buck walking by outta bow range, one doe bleat and he looked over and was on his way. i have not had luck with a buck decoy yet...but planning on using it more this year.

Do you use scent on your decoy?

·
Registered
146 Posts
yes, but don't put it on the decoy. put it on the ground behind or under the decoy. When using a doe decoy, place it facing away from you, typically a buck will wanna circle around "her" and come in from behind, giving you a broadside shot when he turns. And with a buck decoy, have it facing you, a buck will typically come head to head with the buck decoy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
offshoreonly said:
This is a good question, seen a whole whack of hunting videos where people have had sucess never given them a go myself, got enough stuff to drag into the bush lol.
Would it work to leave it there or do you have to take it in and out with you?
I'm with offshore, it's amazing how much you drag out there. Bow, pack, heavy jacket for late evenings.

·
Registered
869 Posts
That is an idea just to leave it up. It would be interesting to keep a game camera pointed at it to see how deer react to it when your not around, may even get a reaction from predators.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Dune said:
offshoreonly said:
Would it work to leave it there or do you have to take it in and out with you?
I'm with offshore, it's amazing how much you drag out there. Bow, pack, heavy jacket for late evenings.

If you don't spray your scent directly on it and keep it as scent free as possible then you could leave it out there overnight... If you cover it with scent deer will find it and if its a buck decoy and buck scent he will more than likely kick the crap out of it!!! Ask me how I know!!!

I use the montana decoys... they are light, and transport very easily...

Word of advice, it goes without saying that decoys work best during the three stages of the rut, but that usually coincides with the firearms seasons... So be smart and don't use them where "roadhunters" run rampant... I use a old orange touque in a tree above the decoy and have painted the legs blaze orange as well, doesn't bother the deer none and gives me a little peace of mind when i'm hunkered twenty yards away!!!

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
offshoreonly said:
That is an idea just to leave it up. It would be interesting to keep a game camera pointed at it to see how deer react to it when your not around, may even get a reaction from predators.
I left a decoy out in the bush, not standing as I broke it down and left it under a tree. On two occasions a bear came around and beat up on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had a ton of success with decoys, both buck and doe.
Some of my observations have been;
- once a deer falls for the deke it won't fall for it again any time soon so don't over use them if you're only hunting one property. I never leave mine out in the field. I've tried laying mine down but still found deer tracks in the snow walking right up to the deke. IMO, any deer education is bad.
- all deer will come to a doe deke but during the rut most does will totally avoid a buck deke. They're sick and tired of bucks chasing them around all day.
- During the rut, which is the only time I use the dekes, bucks come to all dekes either to F*** or fight so gender isn't an issue.
- Don't expect a small buck to come into a big racked deke, they don't want their ass kicked.
- Big buck dekes bring in BIG bucks, but then again pretty much all dekes will under the right set of circumstances.
- I can't give any advice as to which way to face a deke. Sometimes they come in facing the head and sometimes they circle to the back. I usually guess wrong. They will usually however try to get downwind so try and set up the deke upwind. As was mentioned earlier, bucks tend to come head on but not always. In the one video I have of a buck coming to a buck deke, it came in from the back. Some people on here have seen the video, the buck dies.

I haven't used scent yet but I have entertained the thought of pinning a scented handkerchief or Kleenex to the rear-end. A bit of extra movement couldn't hurt I wouldn't think

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've used a Montana doe decoy with success, but never tried a buck decoy. I think like anything with hunting, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. You can rattle, bleat, grunt, use scents, and decoys too, they'll all work some of the time, but none of them will work every time. They're all tools of the trade, and they give us a chance to mix things up in the field.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Check out silver heights archery range... The guys there are pretty good to deal with, they carry the Montana line of folding silhouette decoys...

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
JetsOrBust said:
Anyone know of any good places to buy a decoy? They seem pretty pricey at Cabelas but maybe that's just what they go for.
They aren't cheap anywhere except after season in the U.S.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Fair enough, although they do seem to have a few models that are noticeably less at Silver Heights than what is advertised on the cabela's website.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts