Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the other clubs, sports teams, and home entertainment systems around, people forget about Scouting. It's still active and still teaching youth about the outdoors and how to enjoy and look after it. I am an avid hunter and nature lover and I'm a cub leader. Cubs are for boys and girls 8-10, scouts 11-13. Last weekend we were camping in tents, learning how to use a compass, buliding fires, identifying trees and animal poop, and having a great time in the woods and AWAY from electronics. We even called in some geese.
Anyone with kids should consider it. Early exposure to the world outside the civilized will last a lifetime. There's cubs and scout groups everywhere. Check it out!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very nice to hear. Thanks for caring. The problem today is that most kids do not want to anything other than video games, or keeping their thumb's busy texting. And to help the parents around the house or yard well, you would think you are asking for the moon.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son is 9 and he would rather be on the Wii but he always has fun when we go. Many nights he complains about going to Cubs but once we get there he forgets about Mario bros. and has a blast.
I told him he needed to choose some activity and he chose cubs and I became a leader. My involvment has kept him involved. We frequently need parent volunteers for activities and if you don't want to go through the process of being a leader, you can be involved that way. Earning badges starts with Cubs and most of that is done at home with parents helping.
I should also say Beavers is for the 5-7 year olds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not to sound sexist,but how long have been girls been in cubs ans scouts ? What happend to brownies and girl guides ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure how long they've actively recruited girls but Brownies and Guides still exist but they're WAY girlier. Their uniforms are pink and purple (ug). We teach the girls the same stuff as the boys in Cubs and Scouts. No reason they don't want to or can't learn it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts