Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chatting with a local farmer this past weekend and he stated that Coyotes really go for the Sunflowers.

Is this normal..........I had not heard of this before.

·
Registered
146 Posts
my guess would be that the 'yotes would be looking for mice and other rodents feeding on the sunflower seeds.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fish_Killer said:
my guess would be that the 'yotes would be looking for mice and other rodents feeding on the sunflower seeds.

Yes, I have observed the yotes just sitting on the edges of the crops waiting to poach any rodent that came along, but this particular farmer was adamant that the yotes were into eating the sunflowers. This guy is not a "kidder" or prone to b.s. so thats why I put the question out there.

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
146 Posts
i could see them eating the sunflowers, they do put alot of fat on other animals like deer and bears when they eat the sunflowers...so why not a coyote.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
In my experience yotes are not at all picky about what they gnaw on!!! I wouldn't be surprised to see them eating sunflowers...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've seen lots of coyotes on my sunflower fields cruising around, but I've never actually seen them eat the sunflowers

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ive been a coyote sniper for 30 thirty years watching every move they make, i have only witnessed coyote mousing in sunflower field, Who Knows maybe a coyote pup will knaw on anything just because its there to knaw on.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These various comments and observations are really quite interesting. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the sunflowers and the coyote poop next year.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had to put an electric fence around my corn this summer because my dogs were eating it all, sunflowers would have more oil (fat) so it would be a good food, but I can't see the shells being kind to anythings system

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sled-in said:
I had to put an electric fence around my corn this summer because my dogs were eating it all, sunflowers would have more oil (fat) so it would be a good food, but I can't see the shells being kind to anythings system

Roughage ?......... :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts