Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you get out there to hunt Coyotes? Have they become a problem in your favorite hunting area?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven't gone out and targeted them yet, but i do try to shoot every one i see while out deer hunting. They have become a problem in pretty much the whole southern part of Manitoba. Between the 'yotes and the wolves they are doing some damage on the moose, deer, and small game and upland birds. I have property in the southwest corner of the province and acouple years ago i shot a coyote that was chasing a fawn during the rifle deer season.

This is the coyote.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I got out 3 times this year. This was the first year that I actively went out looking for them. Nothing came in to the calls. I think they were pretty well fed this year with so little snow. I shot one in deer season and one in elk.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How big do your coyotes get? This past deer season, a hunter shot one about 10 miles south of my home that weighed 71 pounds!

·
Registered
147 Posts
70 lbs??? wow that is a big yote. I have a 80 lb shepard puppy and both of my yotes were way smaller than that. I would estimate the one from around Riding mountain was 45-55 lbs and the one I got in deer season had mange so maybe 40 lbs.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figure that he must have broken into the pharmacy and got his paws on some steroids. :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
70lbs!? Gesus-H!
I got one last winter and he was BIG... prob 50lbs or so.
NEVER have I seen/heard of a 70lb Yote!
Nasty
:shotgun: "Choot 'em I da Head Lizibit"!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll see if I can find the newspaper article on it for you.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Coulda been a crossbreed, I shot one up here that would probably go 60-65lbs, it wasn't a crossbreed tho so 70 would seem reasoanble....

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the articles written on the Coyotes in the state go on to say that the Coyotes here in my state have some of the Grey Wolf genetics. This year so far, we've also had 5 reported cases of rabid Coyotes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They are definitely a problem in my area. You can forget about leaving a deer out over night and tracking in the morning. A few years ago they even got to a deer after we left it for a couple hours.
I try to get out calling a few times each winter. Usually during real cold snaps.
Never weighed any but the biggest was maybe 60lbs. A guy I was hunting with one day shot one that made my biggest look puny though. That thing was a tank.
A few pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Very nice pictures! Not much about yotes in our area right in the SE, but Wolves all over. Been seeing them in the middle of the day. Farmers talk about them and I've heard of someone's dog being attacked and taken away by a wolf while the kids were waiting for the school bus. Hunting season we see tracks all over certain roads like it rained wolves overnight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I keep hearing about wolves in the SE, but I hunt in Sundown and have yet to come across one in the last couple of years. I would love to knock one down.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Toban, Nice dogs man!!! I got skunked this winter (although i was lacking any serious effort)...

As for wolves, They are tough to hunt and even tougher to call... I'm surrounded by them they are thick as ticks up here... I tried numerous times to call them in with no succsess... Not saying it can't be done, just requires a little more patience than with yotes... Far as i'm concerned I think anyone who wants to shoot a moose up in 27 or 17A should do there part and kill a few of the wolves... Even with the generous bounty offered by MB conservation this past winter i never heard of a single wolf being shot nor did i see a single wolf hunter up here... Yet as soon as moose season rolls around Hunters are flocking up here to try and get a poke at the last few remaining moose... I myself HAVE NOT killed a wolf yet, but i do try and do my part, bought a new gun specifically for the purpose of killing them... As with our deer herds the moose and wolf populations were severly mismanaged and ultimitly our children will pay the price.... Sorry for ranting off topic but it kinda rubs me the wrong way!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe that those big buggers are hard to call in. THey are so smart, I would just like to have one cross me while on stand. I can't even figure out how to call in yotes.

Anyone have suggestions as to what caller to use. We seemed to have the best success with the fawn in distress. But we just had cheap $50 callers that really were not very loud or clear.

How is the foxpro or the flextone?

·
Registered
869 Posts
The guys I know who are REALLLLLYYYY into coyote hunting preach foxpros. I got the gun for this I need a call too hoping to do a bit of hunting in september. In regards to the wolves being in the SE part of the province I can agree to that.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Foxpro all the way!!! There are a few other good manufacturers out there tho, do your research before you buy... I Have a spitfire its basic but very good for the price i believe it was $199 at wholesale but don't quote me on that....

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use all mouth calls. Mostly because I'm too cheap to buy a foxpro. LOL! I tried an early model FoxPro but didn't have much luck with it so stuck with the mouth calls. The newer ones have a lot more sounds.
My go-to call is a custom snowshoe in distress made by a guy in Saskatchewan. I've also had some luck with fawn in distress using a primos Ki-Yi. I've got a few howlers and often start out with a howl or two but have never had one come in to howls alone. I have had a few good barking and howling contests but can't seem to get them to commit.
Never hunted wolves but fawn bawling would make the most sense to me. Maybe even coupled with some coyote yapping. Make them think coyotes have got hold of a fawn.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I was a rookie to coyote hunting this past winter and got out twice. My host on the first hunt got two that day.
There was only an extra incentive for RTL trappers for wolves. Of the two of three trappers in my area I talked to that targeted wolves they got a total of four. One I saw was quite large. For the area we are talking about that is peanuts. From grouse to the end of deer season I personally saw 8 for sure and was not given a chance at a shot. I think the only way you can target wolves is to use bait and be able to put in the time. You need to be well hidden and a good distance from that bait too. I have been spotted in a tree stand by a wolf that was chasing a deer. Deer for the most part don't look up, wolves do. Other than that it is pure luck. Be aware that you are potentially attracting a pack to your general vicinity. Don't make yourself the bait :shock: .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Try placing your wolf bait out on a frozen lake or open field, depending on the area. Set a blind atleast 200 yards away on shore or the treeline. Sneak into your blind well before first light and ya might get a chance at them before they head back into the forest after legal shooting light, or do an all day sit, ya never know when one or more might show up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts