Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type/brand of boots do you suggest for cold weather hunting...for stand hunting, and also for still hunting.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Sorel Alaskans. Not sure they even make these anymore. Use them for ice fishing too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
In extreme cold I have sask pac, warmest boot I've ever owned. Just bought inferno last year. Super happy with them. Used them all this year ice fishing not once cold feet.

·
Banned
216 Posts
snomad said:
Use them for ice fishing too.
....in a heated tent (shack) ?

All I use for icefishing is Muckboots.....even those get too hot in the tent.
Outside icefishing it's pretty much a March thing, and then it's not that cold.
I have my extreme cold weather footwear but never ever even thought about taking them icefishing.....and I icefish a lot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah used them in feb when went for trout. Outside all day no shack. Don't get me wrong wasn't minus 30 that day. Other wise most times was in tent shack plus few times outside. For me minus 15 was about max for fishin otherwise sask pac's went on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Frostbit my toes looking for a lost hunter a few years ago, so my feet get really sensitive to the cold now. My cabela's inferno pac boots were not gutting it, went with the baffin impacts. Feet still get cool, but not cold any more.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I wear them in the shack too. The level of your feet is the coldest place even with a heater. If you choose to run and gun a fair bit you need them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When it comes to boots in the cold, I don't mess around I bought a pair of Baffin Endurance and they are fantastic to walk in and sit all day on the ice fishing or in the bush for December Elk.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Dont forget about the socks that you wear too. A good wool blend 50% i find the best. Also keep in mind your feet will sweat and get wet during a full day outing no matter what the temp.... its a good idea to take along at least 2 extra pairs of socks to change thru out the day and believe me.... its like you just died and gone to heaven when you put them dry socks on in -35 and do a foot stomp and away you go.... you cannot go all day on only one pair of socks like so many people do.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Heres another interesting question..... how many that actually drive for an hour or two put these same boots on as they leave their house and arrive at their hunting site or ice fishing (only to have) sweating soaked feet?... I wear my running shoes when i drive or sometimes i actually just drive in my socks till i get to where im going, dry feet first thing in the morning is the way to go especially if you are going to sit on stand or in a blind.

·
Banned
216 Posts
ihunttoomuch said:
Heres another interesting question..... how many that actually drive for an hour or two put these same boots on as they leave their house and arrive at their hunting site or ice fishing (only to have) sweating soaked feet?... I wear my running shoes when i drive or sometimes i actually just drive in my socks till i get to where im going, dry feet first thing in the morning is the way to go especially if you are going to sit on stand or in a blind.
No driving, and only minimal walking in these boots (Cabelas Trans-Alaskan) put them on only when walking to the stand.
Same thing for heavy clothing, put them on at the base of the tree (or up in the stand)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have been using sorel glaciers for years now they are a bit bulky and heavy with very little ankle support but they are warm!! In January I picked up a pair of infernos for me and the wife.I have read good reviews about them and hope they are as good as people claim them to be.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ihunttoomuch said:
Can't drive with any boots on. I wear a size 13 EEE. I have a pair of felt lined clogs that I wear with a pair of liner socks for driving. I put on my hunting socks and boots after I arrive at my destination.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a pair of the Cabela's Inferno 2000 Pac boot and am not overly thrilled with them.

They are very comfortable, Breathable and waterproof, but sitting for over an hour in -15 or colder my toes froze. The cold seems to come right through the sole, so i picked up a good set of insulating insoles. Will test them out again this year.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Okay... next week they are calling for lows of around -12 highs around -5 will the Cabela's Inferno 2000 Pac boot be warm enough if I choose to sit in stand for the 10 hours?Or should I bring my Sorel Glaciers as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts