Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
The majority of my stand hunting is done out of hang-on stands. I also have ladder and 2 home-made premanent stands set up too, including a scafold tower with blind built on top.

·
Banned
216 Posts
highlandglen guide said:
ladder stands for me, heard way to many horror stories about climbers and i dont like climbing up a tree on foot pegs!
Believe it or not climbers used properly are safer than ladder stands, even though climbers are not popular in Manitoba.
Besides what the heck do you do with a ladder stand if you hunt public land, won't be there for long. Used to have three of them one got stolen (from private property :roll: ) I sold the other two, way too cumbersome to move them around (a pain actually) deer learn about the stand site after a while, other people can use it (without you knowing it)
For gun hunting are more suitable overall, they are kind of low as well, and the higher ones are really a pain in the backside to transport and setup. I use Lone Wolf Alpha hang-ons for years now after I tried everything......but each of their own.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Good points. Where I hunt in boreal forest you don't get a great choice of trees. Way too many limbs for climbers. Hang ons would work. The theft thing is always an issue. That's why you can still find many homemade bolt on stands on crown land. You'd have to have pegs and tools to steal those and they likely aren't worth it. Not sure when they changed it but you can't have a "permanent" stand on crown land anymore and you have to identify your stand while it is up during the season.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've used them all and find that ladder stands are the easiest, fastest and safest stands out there. I can put them up in almost any size tree and the tree doesn't have to be straight or limb free. Yes, they are not the highest, but you can camo them in pretty easy. I also feel much more comfortable sending my son or father up into a ladder stand, than having them try and work their way up a tree through branches only to get up into a hang-on that has no where to rest a gun or gear. My father won't even try to climb up to a hang on anymore. He too loves these ladder stands. He finds them comfortable and secure. Sometimes trying to clip in to your safety harness in a hang-on, is the most dangerous thing you will do.

The trick for transport of a ladder is not to buy the luxury big box ladder stands. Buy the cheaper light weight ones and have your trees picked out from prior scouting, instead of walking around searching for a tree while lugging around the stand.

Climbing stands are really limited to trees that are just about lodge pole perfect. Can't have bark that is too loose or too slick. I wouldn't waste another penny on a self climber in this province.

And the way to keep ladder stands from disappearing, is to put them in areas where people don't traverse and lock them up.

IMO

·
Banned
216 Posts
I hunt pretty much everyday from the pre-rut on, sit on about fifty-sixty different trees, on half a dozen different places, properties (it's a long archery season) Would be next to impossible and unpractical with ladders. It's a lot different for bowhunting, then watching a 300 yard clearing, or sitting at a field edge with a gun from some kind of elevated structure (or from bucket, on the ground) Done both for a long time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Very true. If you are going to hunt that many locations, you would need to go with the hang-on or climber. Not too bad to do if you use the same trees yearly so they are already to go. We don't have that many locations to set up. Basically move 8 or 9 ladder stands to 12-15 spots. Set ups for bow do take more time than the muzzle/rifle locations. I am only able to get out about 30-40 days a year and that includes my bird and big game hunting, so I like to hunt as much as I can and not be moving stands around too much. Stands are only moved if a location is dry or a newly found hot spot requires a stand. With the one deer limit this year, I don't think that will be too much of an issue. Whole deer season could be over with one little tug on the release. Muzzleloader or rifle might not see the field.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My fav is my Lone wolf hang on although I also have
6 Hang ons
1 single ladder
1 two person ladder
2 ground blinds
The lone wolf with a set of sticks is my run n gun set up the others are all placed before the season .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.