Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I went to a spot here inside Transcona where I had seen a really big buck in someone's yard. I never did see him again, but I snuck up on these guys and got some pictures, as blurry as they are...

It was pretty cool to see two nice bucks inside the city like that, grazing together and once in a while sparring lightly.

[BBvideo 425,350:2f0xdows]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdboYWtdViE[/BBvideo:2f0xdows]

I went and visited the lady who's yard's they're usually in and asked her if she had seen the big buck recently. She hadn't.

[BBvideo 425,350:2f0xdows]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDzYUggjRLQ[/BBvideo:2f0xdows]

The only time I've seen deer more urban than that was when I was riding my bike by Costco on Regent and a young one spooked from behind a bush right by the sidewalk in front of Costco. Has anyone seen any really big bucks in the city at any point, or deer in very urban spots? How about sheds found in or around the city?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Around Costco there are a few big boys but they are continuing to build housing there so that might not last much longer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Where bishop grandin turns north and into kenaston there used to be fields behind white ridge, there used to be huge bucks in there. Now that area has become waverly west. Wenzel road between 59 and the north perimeter has some big boys in there too

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Lots of big deer around assinaboine forest... Seen a huge NT a few years back well over 200" driving down roblin blvd in the middle of the night....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Maybe ten years back I was driving down Regent with a friend around midnight. November. Prime time for the rut. And here runs a big old buck right across all four lanes of regent near the Can Ad Inns and heading South with one thing on his mind.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This isn't really "City" But I live in Selkirk so I am surrounded by field....a couple of years ago two trophy bucks and 5 does pre-rut feeding not far from my house.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A buddy and I used to cruise around some of the dirt roads between Wilkes and McGillvary each fall. There were always a few monsters in there.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
thepatriot said:
I wish they came out with a Winnipeg bow zone, like they do in Edmonton

It would never work... Lots of landowners would never give the permission required... They have the NUWZ but thats basically a centerfire restriction.... Edmontons bow zone (Calgary has one too) is in the "country" surrounding edmonton, not within the city really... Its big bush country, not the golf course for sure!!! I agree that something needed to be done about the deer around WPG, but that time has come and gone....

·
Registered
224 Posts
wahoo82 said:
Had This little guy eatin my garden the other day. Gets the blood pumpin.
I would love to know the age of this buck I got within 5 feet of him a couple years back and I think he was bigger then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We lived on Goulet for a few years across from the Seine River. We had a pear tree in our back yard and this monster buck would come out at night and clean up the fallen pears in late fall. Only got a decent look at him twice. Judging by the amount of deer $hit in our back yard, he (and maybe others) were around quite often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts