Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from setting up my blind on a big puddle in a stubble field.Went scouting this morning and saw around 1000! ducks and 100 geese on the small puddle/swamp in this one field. Asked the farmer right away and he said YES!!!!! There is no real cover near by so had to improvise but she looks good. Bring on the weekend. 2 MORE SLEEPS :shotgun:
[attachment=0:2qmdi658]photo (3).JPG[/attachment:2qmdi658]
Has anyone else got Saturday planned yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow, that is gonna be a killer spot!
I'm going to set up my blind Saturday AM on my spot in the marsh. Maybe sit for the evening. We'll see how many birds are flying around.
Definitely looking forward to it though.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I gotta work Night shift :( But hopefully, once days off roll around, there will be lots of birds down and I can squeak in a shoot!!!

Brett, Looks like you got a wicked setup there... Pound a few for me!!! :shotgun:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that is gonna be a killer spot!
almost missed it too. I was driving around and could only see a few geese like 20 or 30 on a field then i spotted tons of ducks circling so i slowed down got out the binos and had a look. All i could see from the road was ducks dropping on to stubble. I made a note of it and carried on scouting. I saw a few fields with geese on them but nothing too exiting so i decided to drive back over to were i had seen all the ducks. By this time it was 10 am so i could ask the farmer. I turned off the road on to the long driveway and as i came over the brow were i had seen the ducks earlier i saw a black mark on the field then i realized it was birds. Hundreds and hundreds of birds on a puddle around 30 yards by 100 yards. After getting permission i watched for a while and formulated a plan then drove home to get my stuff. When i came back at around 1:30 there was still around 200 ducks and geese in there and the farmer said it's been like this for 2 weeks already. I don't think i have ever been this exited for a hunt before in my life.

·
Registered
117 Posts
AWESOME! Pure awesome. Super jealous as my scouting down south here only shows a few locals around right now. Usually not until October until the numbers come. Enjoy the hunt. Where are you located?

Are the marshes any good i.e. libau, netly? I have always wanted to hunt up there but not sure where or how or even if there are lots of birds around.

Looking to get the boat/blind and decoys out on Saturday with my kids here...but just can't decide on a dawn or dusk hunt! What is best this early when hunting a marsh?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dawn or dusk? cant say, i would just hunt both. I live in The Pas. The birds are just starting to show in huntable numbers up hear and i have see lots in a low orbit (about 1000 feet) heading due south with no intention on stopping any time soon. There on there way. think this few days of cold has got them moving. Just 13 deg c here today.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mornings are almost always more productive than evenings but there are times when evenings may produce better than mornings. I prefer evenings if we scout lots of northern mallards in an area. I LOVE a northern mallard late season hunt with them coming back and decoying with their crops full.

There are TONS of birds out there if you know where to look. I was in Libau/Netley on Saturday evening for 6 hours and we didn't see 100 ducks. I'll see more birds than that Saturday morning before legal shooting time. We probably left the area an hour before dark. I won't be going back to that area any time soon.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Im deer hunting in east selkirk and there had to be alot of geese come down with north wind there wasnt this many flying around a couple days ago. Flocks are real high.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Dynamite looking spot Brett! Do you have a dog? Perfect place for dog as it's going to be tough slugging for you to walk out to get your birds. Remember that birds must be immediately retrieved! Easy to forget that when they keep coming in!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will be hunting "teal alley" opening day. There was a couple of thousand birds there a few days ago. The Tazador is very excited. I brought the shotgun out and he went wild.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea i have my young pup he has never been on a duck hunt before but he has been with me grouse hunting and is coming on well. This should be the perfect spot for a young dog most birds will be down within 50 yards , no cover and shallow water.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i heading out to my local marsh and doing some jump shooting taking out a new guy to hunting hopefully there are lots of ducks and of course gotta break out the hunting pup for her 2rd season hopefully i can shoot another black duck :p

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lots new birds showed up at Oak Hammock today, even at noon large flights of geese. I really couldn't believe how the numbers had jumped from just a few days ago. Even saw the first flocks of snows. With the north wind blowing all day I would expect that tomorrow will be pretty good.

If any of you are still scrambling for a spot, get out to Oak Hammock you should do pretty well if you get the right field!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts