Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out a few times lately, either walking into a stand or walking out and i'll hear a coyote near by start to bark or multiple dogs yipping back and forth. So i quietly get set up and start my calling. They coyotes at this point continue to yip or bark for a minute or 2, then everything goes silent without a sighting. Anyone have any ideas why they may not be responding? wind was good, And i don't believe my call would have been too loud either. If it happened once, bad luck maybe. But multiple times, i figure i might be missing something. thanx.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you howling at them or using distress call? If its distress, how long are you waiting? If they aren't particularly hungry them may not be in a hurry to get there.
A challenge howl might work. If they aren't hungry, piss them off.

Can you see your downwind side? Coyotes love to circle downwind so it's important that you can watch downwind.

Coyotes can be fickle. Sometimes they just won't come in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its been a mix, but mostly open. all but one situation i would have been able to see the coyote circling downwind.
I was using distress calls as i do not have a howler or any challenge vocals on my caller. i figured that may have worked a little better though. I always give it 30-45 mins before giving up on a stand. These coyotes that i was calling to were close, i would estimate less that 200 yards away. so i figure that would be more than enough time for the little critter to show himself.

·
Registered
653 Posts
200 sounds like your pretty close to them to me, maybe they know your there?
Try maybe calling from farther away, then youll have more control.
I'd also get a howler call, I have a knight and hale, took off the red mouth piece for more control on the reed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yep, 200 yards in open country, they may have had you busted before you even called.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think that this is just what coyotes do, they call back and forth then shut and say nothing. Where I live that seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was in the open, the coyotes were still in cover. I usually try and position myself so that i am in over looking an opening in hopes of calling the coyotes into it from the heavy cover. I'll figure these critters out eventually.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ldb pikester said:
I think that this is just what coyotes do, they call back and forth then shut and say nothing. Where I live that seems to be the norm.

Those are my observations as well. We can hear three distinct packs calling to one another and its almost like someone pulled a switch, and they all shut up in unison ! I have noticed this several times...........with the packs in any direction from the cabin at any given time.

Freaks my wife out and makes the dogs real nervous !!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had this happen once in 20 years of calling, i had my 12 year old out for his first hunt and i was talking to much trying to get him set up. As soon as i hit the call the dog was only 100 yards away and he lit into barking at us so i swithched off the distress calls and started barking back at him. This went on for 20 minutes at one point he was so far away that you could barley hear him so I went silent and he came back and 30 minutes into the set he poked his head out and ate a .204 v-max. He knew we were there the whole time but he couldn't leave us alone cause he never saw us and curiosity killed that coyote. I use a Johnny Walker electonic with a dozen different calls cause you have to be flexible sometimes when the need arises.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hard to say for sure what happened. I've had this similar thing, they call, I call and then nothing. something just wasn't right for them to commit. Never give up!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
When they get vocal, I like to get about 1/2 a mile away and just slightly downwind with a good view of the downwind side... Then I use a coyote or fox in distress call... they seem to get curious and come for a look, but they won't come in straight up wind, they like to circle downwind, which is why I like to be able to see better on the downwind side than the upwind side... Its only worked a couple times for me and neither time did I get a shot off but it did get them to come check me out!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts