Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought myself a quarter section, so now it is time to look at building a hunting shack. My thoughts are to get a 24x24 garage package and add some windows (Menards) and build a 2x10 floor and put the whole cabin up about 2 feet.

So my question is, does anybody have cheaper or better ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
339 Posts
Make sure to leave enough room under so you have easy access. As we get older we are not getting any smaller. I would have at least a 6/12 pitch roof, this gives it strength and you might not have to shovel it off in winter. Our cottage is 4/12 and sometimes we shovel it off twice. A 36 inch door is nice for moving things in and out. Maintenance free materials will save work in the future. If you are bringing in power find out how much hydro charges per pole, this may affect your positioning. You may want to position building or windows for morning or afternoon sun. Positioning wood stove in the middle gives nice even heat. People who skirt in their cottage usually have mice in it. etc etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
45 Posts
Star Builders on Lagimodiere have some nice small cabin packages for very reasonable prices & they come with all the windows, floors, doors, etc. Just add labour, insulation & wiring

Like this one:Click here for 432 sq ft cabin package plans

You could also talk to McDiarmid Lumber, they have a couple as well

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put an add on manitoba hunters last year a found an addition on a trailer by Lac du Bonnet peaked roof sliding patio doors couch wood stove fully insulated.The owner was just wanting it gone so we hired a gentlemen and moved it for 2500 bucks awesome place now.We put it on my uncles 3 quarters of land in the interlake.Its now set up and ready for fall.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Has anyone tried a sea container ?

I understand they are relatively rodent proof, more fire resistant than a traditional wood frame structure, and can be modified to be very comftorable. They are insulated and can be moved in and out of a site if need be.

I am talking hunting shack here.......occasional use ( ie various hunting seasons ) not to invite your girl friend out and impress her with all the finer things in life.....

Bunk beds, air tight heater, outside biffy, no frills, lots of spills !!

Just asking !!

·
Registered
45 Posts
bulldog007 said:
Has anyone tried a sea container ?

I understand they are relatively rodent proof, more fire resistant than a traditional wood frame structure, and can be modified to be very comftorable. They are insulated and can be moved in and out of a site if need be.

I am talking hunting shack here.......occasional use ( ie various hunting seasons ) not to invite your girl friend out and impress her with all the finer things in life.....

Bunk beds, air tight heater, outside biffy, no frills, lots of spills !!

Just asking !!
Lots of plans & ideas on the net for using shipping containers as homes. Pretty cool idea if you ask me.
Click here for one example of a shipping container home

1 - 9 of 9 Posts