Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had one of these set out for about 3 weeks. Had the sensitivity set on high as they recommend for warm temperatures. In 3 days 6200+ pics, a full 8 gig card and 8 dead AA cells. No animals in any of the pics. Tried it with the medium setting for a bit and it seems better. It's in the bush again. Anyone have any feedback on this?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Ya I set them to normal, high is way too high. also try to remove any branches close to it that will easily set it off, or above it that might get weighed down by snow... I think the newer Trophy cams are better than the old ones (Pre 2008?), but yea high is too high. On Normal I've been getting very few wind pictures. Sometimes it's also birds. If you have birds flying around all day causing it to take 3 pictures each time, it adds up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I set mine to normal and got 144 pictures in 2 weeks. Only about a half dozen seemed to be set off by nothing.

I recommend using the high resoulution setting because sometimes the pictures didn't show the level of detail I would like. I'll be checking mine again on Thursday.

Needless to say, the camera is about 1000 times better than my Stealth Cam.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Most cameras will do this if you don't clean everything in front them, what's moving and can make the camera go off.....tall grass can be bad. I learned that on my Spypoint. My Bone Collector usually get a half dozen of empty pics from about 50 (usually the setting or rising sun gets it off)

Smith

I think Stealth are POS returned two of them (STC840IR) eating batteries like crazy....took about 20 pics with a set....won't buy them again.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the camera set for 3 pics per trigger the first time but it just got stupid with an 8 gig card. It was also set at 8 MP but anything like a big moth turned into a streak so I set it at 5MP this time to increase the speed of the camera when it takes the pic. As for branches and such, I removed what I could. I think the short brush with leaves on it yet was the big part of the problem along with the high setting. I also put it on a tree that is close to a foot in diameter so it is less likely to sway in the wind. Also in a somewhat more shaded area. I was careful to also place it pretty much north facing so that it never has the sun shining at it. It sucks that I lost 3 weeks by going by what the manual said.
Another interesting thing is to see the level of light that triggers the camera to go into daytime mode. I may try short videos next if the trigger sensitivity is good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well I just went to set up my trophy cam and the display is no longer working. Not sure what the problem is because it seems to start up but then it will not work.

I also just bought a cuddeback so I'm hoping that one works out.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That doesn't sound good. I just viewed my trail cam pics tonight after adjusting the setting to the middle one. The camera survived the storm or perhaps I should say the tree it was on survived. The camera was witness to trees falling in the bush. It also got pics of a doe and two fawns on multiple occasions as well as myself coming and going. 18 pics total so the setting appears to be good. The area I had the camera in is a disaster of fallen trees. All the game trails close by have multiple trees down across them :iams:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts