Manitoba Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahh! Saw a decent 4x4 today, I could not get a range shot.( dang bushnell, pos) So I figured I would get closer, make sure of my shot. The deer was at it's furthest at 200 yds, which I can do with an accurate rangefinder shot, but without, it is too far away. I looked around, and saw nothing, so, I creep up across the field on it, ( it is hidden behind some dugout dirt), and I get busted by a forkhorn in the bush. Great, there they go. Except I never saw the big one leave. He either left where I could not see him, or he stayed put, either way, I backed out. I hope I can see him again. I know he is not large compared to trophy standards, but the places we hunt, and the deer we see, he is very nice, he had a good sized body,( meat :) ) and probably pushed the 115-125" range, which is bigger than I usually see.
Either way, a great evening to be out, more lessons learned, and can't wait until tomorrow or Sat to get out again. We are definitely blessed to be able to do things like this!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could have shot, and I often would have, but I did not have a good feeling about this shot, even though I know I should have been able to make a good shot on it. Still got a good rush though, even though I know I could probably have had it in the garage tonight! Celebratory Whiskey tonight anyway, even though the deer was not taken!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Tailhunter said:
I could have shot, and I often would have, but I did not have a good feeling about this shot, even though I know I should have been able to make a good shot on it. Still got a good rush though, even though I know I could probably have had it in the garage tonight! Celebratory Whiskey tonight anyway, even though the deer was not taken!
You made the ethical choice, imho.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Now I'm getting pumped........Can't get out till next week....Thanx for the story and can't wait to have those whiskeys also :shotgun: :archery:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a situation about 3 weeks ago where a doe and her triplets
came thru' to my stand. Something must have spooked them
as they were moving pretty quick. 2 of the fawns stopped dead
in front of me at about 10 yds. I was at full draw when I heard them
coming thru'. But I just didn't feel good about taking the shot.
Hell, they were no bigger than than a dog. Didn't seem worth it.
Especially this year with the one deer system.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nice to pass on those. I hunted at one friends for many years. One time I sat at the end of a corn field and watched down a tree line for deer crossing in the corn. One time a doe with three fawns came to the tree line, but instead of crossing they came straight towards me, fawns first. The closer they got the lower I layed, covering my face. They eventually stopped at maybe 8 yards. Great to see, but ofcourse I passed. If I would have shot that doe or any of the fawns my friend would have barred me for life. He might have shot me, had I shot a white deer. If there was one he would have known. It would have been his call. He may have insisted that I shoot a white deer but I do not think so. For me I pass.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good on you Tailhunter if you aren't comfortable with a shot don't take it. Nothing worse IMHO than a slow kill or worse a wounded animal.

As you said you got the rush that's what counts the most anyways

1 - 10 of 10 Posts