Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
ldb pikester said:
Paying that much for hunting to me seems like a very dangerous road to be going down, and can lead to drastic changes to hunting as we know it.
Really? Awarding somebody cash for their hard work and scouting is dangerous? Have you heard of "outfitting" or "guiding"?

I don't have access to a part of the province where these animals exist, so I would be willing to pay for somebody's knowledge of their whereabouts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Twice in the last few weeks I have run into people in Cabelas and started talking about hunting. One was a total stranger the other was someone I knew. Surprisingly enough both of them complained to me about losing hunting spots. Both because of rich americans coming up offering big money for exclusive rights to hunt the property. So maybe good for the farmer and maybe good for you if you got that type of money. I will not and can not compete. This may be the future of hunting, but if this is the way this bus is headed then let me off at the next stop.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, this can be a reality of our sport but the absolute most important part of successful hunting is hard work. There will always be millions of acres of huntable land in this province, and if you put in the time scouting, getting permission, and finding new spots, you will always be succesful. You may not always get the biggest buck, or limit out on geese, but thats not what success in hunting is based on to me. Success is getting out there, and enjoying every minute in the field.

Granted, there are lot`s of unique things happening in this province as of late (moose closures, wolf over-populations, METIS HUNTING RIGHTS, just to name a few) which may or may not negatively effect our sport, but paying for opportunities is not as negative as it may seem. A: not as many people do it as you may think and B: Paying to hunt an invasive species such as boar is not a negative thing. Boars cause lots of damage to crops (and livestock) and the last thing we need is an overpopulation like is happenbing throughout the midwest and southern United States.

As such, if I end up lining up a boar hunt that I may or may not have to pay for (or trade one of my guided wolf or bear hunts, as stated) I am extending an invite to you Pikester, free of charge.

I get where you are coming from, so I would be willing to share this experience. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have heard many rumors that st labre bog is home to wild boar. dont quote me. id do some research if you do want to persue it. however its impossible to make it across the bog in spring summer or fall. sled is the only access. locals have claimed it.. however lots of the locals are alchies :p

·
Registered
397 Posts
We got our first wild boar on a trail cam this year. Heard rumors of them around our area in the past, but have never seen one. Well the trail cam proved the rumors, but I still think I have a better chance at winning the 6/49 than shooting one of those bush pigs.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I hope if anyone saw one of these while hunting they would drop it. I don't think I'd do anything with it if I shot one ( not a game animal, and I've worked with boars and they have a taint to the meat).
Not a creature we need in our province

·
Registered
44 Posts
What I know,
Practically all MB specimens (that I know of) descend from big Russian boars which escaped from a game farm near Beausejour years ago. Heard they pop up periodically in Agassiz Prov. Forest
There are a fair number of farmers and land owners out that way which have got visuals of these hoggies. It would definately pay to talk to locals out there. Help these folks out and drop these buggers to minimize the damage to property and livestock they inflict
Eyes peeled guys and stay safe :recon:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There have been three hogs seen periodically in the same general area where I have my cottage and hunt. A local and myself have permission to go onto that particular private property and go "hog wild" as it were. Going out later to set up a couple of game cams so we can get an idea of size - feed times - etc etc.

If things pan out, I will be looking for some tips on processing the meat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Seen one a few years ago down south, we were on are way home and it was down in a valley so we never shot it. It is the only one I have seen but with all of the floods the past few years down at the farm, I can see why I have only seen them once

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm curious too where the largest populations are. I wouldn't mind trying some wild boar. I can tell you where I have never seen any lol. Grand beach Pinefalls area and Sandylands. I have spent years of my life in the bush in those areas and have never seen one. I have hear in the milner ridge area and Agassiz area from my googling.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
[mod="Riggs":36du6r7h]This thread has been hijacked so badly, I thought Al Qaeda terrorists were involved, so quite a few posts that were involved were removed[/mod:36du6r7h]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.