Manitoba Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried them for the first time this morning and they really are the best steel load on the market IMO. I was pass shooting ducks this morning with a buddy and i decided it was time to try the black cloud fs steel and i wasn't expecting them to perform as good as they did. At first i was shooting them like any other steel shell. Nothing over 40 yards but the ducks just kept folding stone dead in the air so i took a few longer shots and the ducks were still folding up at 60/70 yards. They really do shoot like lead.
I should also add that i have been shooting driven Pheasant, Partridge and Ducks since i could hold a gun. Just because the shells work at range you still have to hit them good so please don't read this and go out taking wild shots and wounding birds. Have fun and give them a go you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Leads better!!! lol :lol: :lol:

I haven't tried the flight stoppers yet, i was going to pick up a box of them for my 20ga, but they said "close range" and were recommended for 20yds... I know of a couple people who use the 12ga loads and like it!!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
brettwilby said:
Tried them for the first time this morning and they really are the best steel load on the market IMO. I was pass shooting ducks this morning with a buddy and i decided it was time to try the black cloud fs steel and i wasn't expecting them to perform as good as they did. At first i was shooting them like any other steel shell. Nothing over 40 yards but the ducks just kept folding stone dead in the air so i took a few longer shots and the ducks were still folding up at 60/70 yards. They really do shoot like lead.
I should also add that i have been shooting driven Pheasant, Partridge and Ducks since i could hold a gun. Just because the shells work at range you still have to hit them good so please don't read this and go out taking wild shots and wounding birds. Have fun and give them a go you wont be disappointed.
I've been using Black Cloud shells for the past 6 or 7 years. You're spot on. They reach out and touch them.....real hard!

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
What size shot do you use for ducks and for geese in that brand of shells?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I tried them a few years ago and found them to pattern way too tight for shooting over decoys. The flight stopper pellets really tear up birds and choke changes didn't seem to help.
IMO, a great pass shooting load but not ideal for over decoys.
The new Close Range version should be better for decoy work.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4 for ducks and 2 or3 for geese depending on were I'm hunting I find bb too big and the reduced number of pellets makes for more wounded birds

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I haven't shot black cloud yet, but I have always gone with 2's or 4's for ducks and BB or BBB for geese... I like the knock down power of the BB for Canada's, but a more open choke over dekes, and a very tight choke when pass shooting....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Patty said:
I haven't shot black cloud yet, but I have always gone with 2's or 4's for ducks and BB or BBB for geese... I like the knock down power of the BB for Canada's, but a more open choke over dekes, and a very tight choke when pass shooting....

x2

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Got a chance to try out the Black Cloud Flight Stopper shells the other day for geese... I was impressed actually!!! We were pass shooting Canada's, I was A little under gunned but I picked my shots and pulled down three birds... No cripples all three dead before they hit the ground...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts